Russian tortoise possible shell rot

Ethan Selby

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hello, I have had my Russian tortoise Ivan for exactally a year now and he is doing great but the other day I looked at the bottom of his shell and found this damage.(see pictures) I don't think this is very new but I am worried it is shell rot. I treated him as instructed by this forum with providone-iodine and since it was recent, obviously nothing huge has changed but I'm still worried. So is this shell rot and should I see an exotic vet, is there a way to treat it at home better or is he fine and this is just some wear on the bottom of his shell?
upload_2018-9-1_22-26-46.jpegupload_2018-9-1_22-27-29.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What's the darker shiny areas? I would clean it up, make sure no dirt or substrate in there and put some over the counter antibiotic cream on it and keep him on some paper towels or not substrate for awhile and see if it starts too look better. A week or two. If nothing changes stop the treatment.

Ethan Selby

Maryland
It's not shell rot. Just some sort of impact or scrape damage.
Are there any dogs around?
I've seen toothmark damage like that.....
Yeah I have a dog but I'm positive it's not from her, Ivan is completely contained up high and away from my other pets.

Ethan Selby

Maryland
What's the darker shiny areas? I would clean it up, make sure no dirt or substrate in there and put some over the counter antibiotic cream on it and keep him on some paper towels or not substrate for awhile and see if it starts too look better. A week or two. If nothing changes stop the treatment.
Alright I will, thanks all.