Russian tortoise wound

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
My Russian tortoise got a small wound in one of the back legs, Im not sure what happened but it did not bleed much, but it is still open and I wanted to know if it has a risk of infection and if I should get some kind of ointment, I have a product intended for aquatic turtles named turtle fix and I wanted to know if I could apply some of it for a couple minutes.

Attachments

• AC3942BC-BE69-445A-BF9D-AB664034AB08.jpeg
    AC3942BC-BE69-445A-BF9D-AB664034AB08.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is that the wound on his foot? I'm having trouble zooming in on it. Maybe post a close up of the actual wound.

I don't know if that ointment could be used, but you can help by making sure you soak your tort in shallow like warm water to clean it.

I have also used a mild saline solution (the sort used for contact lens wearers) in a dish or deep lid big enough to put one leg in and deep enough to cover wound. You would have to hold the tort so that he extends his leg though.

I'll tag some members with more experience of treating wounds @Yvonne G @zovick @Tom who'll be able more help.

Is he kept on his own? Pictures of his enclosure will help us spot anything that could have caused it.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Is that the wound on his foot? I'm having trouble zooming in on it. Maybe post a close up of the actual wound.

I don't know if that ointment could be used, but you can help by making sure you soak your tort in shallow like warm water to clean it.

I have also used a mild saline solution (the sort used for contact lens wearers) in a dish or deep lid big enough to put one leg in and deep enough to cover wound. You would have to hold the tort so that he extends his leg though.

I'll tag some members with more experience of treating wounds @Yvonne G @zovick @Tom who'll be able more help.

Is he kept on his own? Pictures of his enclosure will help us spot anything that could have caused it.
Thanks for the comment. This really is the closest I can take a pucture from and it is that red mark on the end of the leg, I am pretty sure that what caused the injury is a really sharp piece of coconut shell from the coconut substrate that I use. I havent used the antibiotics yet because I am afraid, I have cleaned the area with a q tip and hot water and salt to see if it helps. The wound really is not deep or anything but I am afraid that infection might spread

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would keep him out of that substrate for a few days while the wound heals. Afterwards, use orchid bark instead if there are sharp pieces in the coconut substrate?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I don’t see why you couldnt put a dab of the “Turtle Fix” on that wound. Looks more like a hang nail than from stepping on a piece of shell, they have pretty tough feet.

Info here how to use…. Id dab just a bit on the wound after you have soaked & cleaned it. Of course neosporin works too.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
You can use neosporin, the one without the painr
I don’t see why you couldnt put a dab of the “Turtle Fix” on that wound. Looks more like a hang nail than from stepping on a piece of shell, they have pretty tough feet.

Info here how to use…. Id dab just a bit on the wound after you have soaked & cleaned it. Of course neosporin works too.

Thank you, I used a little in a piece of paper towel and some warm water for little over 5 minutes, if it is a gang nail should I do something else?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I dug a bit more on the Turtle Fix product. The active ingredient is cajeput oil, an extract from a plant from Australia.

The oil is primarily known for its antiseptic and analgesic qualities. It's also considered an anti-inflammatory, which is sometimes used to help treat minor skin wounds, colds, and inflammatory skin diseases. Despite its use as a natural product, cajeput oil can be as strong as traditional medication.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
You can use neosporin, the one without the pain killer.
My Sulcata had a similar problem, I cleaned it up. Put neosporin on the wound and than put a small sox on his foot to protect it, "preemie size".

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Thanks, Neosporin seem to be popular around here so i think I will order it, you guys use the cream version right?
I used the turtle fix in a piece of paper towel that I soaker in warm water and the redness of the wound completely went away, I am left with the wound still open so I think I will use some kind of rubber band and a paper towel to keep the area clean

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
I would keep him out of that substrate for a few days while the wound heals. Afterwards, use orchid bark instead if there are sharp pieces in the coconut substrate?
I really dont know why there was that one sharp piece, maybe it was not processed well enough, but I am thinking of replacing the beding with aspen, do you think its a good idea?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I really dont know why there was that one sharp piece, maybe it was not processed well enough, but I am thinking of replacing the beding with aspen, do you think its a good idea?

Id recommend you stay away from the Aspen pet bedding. Go with medium orchid bark, or the coco fiber. It’s always good to check the substrate for any nasty bits….i still don’t think that injury was caused by the coconut shell. Good luck!

zovick

10 Year Member!
Id recommend you stay away from the Aspen pet bedding. Go with medium orchid bark, or the coco fiber. It’s always good to check the substrate for any nasty bits….i still don’t think that injury was caused by the coconut shell. Good luck!
@Qwertyuiopgsggs

I agree with Mark. I once had an extremely beautiful female Star Tortoise purposely eat the Aspen bedding in her pen and she died from the resulting intestinal impaction. Needless to say, I have never used it for any tortoises again.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree with the above. I bought some and the little slivers gave me a splinter that I had trouble even finding with a magnifying glass. I don't think I would use it for anything except fire starting in a barbecue. I always worry about an animals eyes..

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks, Neosporin seem to be popular around here so i think I will order it, you guys use the cream version right?
I used the turtle fix in a piece of paper towel that I soaker in warm water and the redness of the wound completely went away, I am left with the wound still open so I think I will use some kind of rubber band and a paper towel to keep the area clean
When my tort had a foot injury, to let the cream have a chance to soak in I made him a sock by cutting the fingers off some old gloves and used medical tape to hold it in place. You have to keep an eye on it though because it will come off when it gets wet, and if the tort finds it before you he could eat it and choke.
I wouldn't use a rubber band as that could affect circulation - you could try insulating tape but not too tight.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
As Lyn says above, I would stay away from a rubber Band, as it can cut off circulation, and you'd never know...thin strip of vet wrap would hold it in place.... .