Russian tortoises in Brazil

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Location (City and/or State)
Weymouth
I am planning on moving from Massachusetts USA to a small city in the State of Minas Gerais, the climate there is a subtropical in which dry seasons are dry and rain season very moderate. Right where I am I have an indoors enclosure but I do wish to spend more time outside in my future home, which has an ENORMOUS amount of land which is originally dedicated to raise cattle. I would really like to know some opinions because Ive heard that Russian tortoises dont do well on the tropics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am planning on moving from Massachusetts USA to a small city in the State of Minas Gerais, the climate there is a subtropical in which dry seasons are dry and rain season very moderate. Right where I am I have an indoors enclosure but I do wish to spend more time outside in my future home, which has an ENORMOUS amount of land which is originally dedicated to raise cattle. I would really like to know some opinions because Ive heard that Russian tortoises dont do well on the tropics.
If you are planing on taking your tortoise with you, it will be exceedingly difficult and expensive, and possibly not allowed at all. International movement of any animal has become ridiculously difficult in recent years, and it wasn't easy in the first place.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Are you speaking about the protection against invasive parasites and diseases? What are some documents I might need? I still have the original papers from when I got my tortoise, would that be enough or would I need good health proofs?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Are you speaking about the protection against invasive parasites and diseases? What are some documents I might need? I still have the original papers from when I got my tortoise, would that be enough or would I need good health proofs?
I've never been to Brazil, but I've hauled all sorts of animals all over the globe. The authorities around the world all have their own flavor of bureaucracy and incompetence. It is not fun. You are subject to the whims of their emotions. They do and say whatever they want whenever they want and answer to no one. The best advice I can give you is to leave the tortoise here and get another one there. The second best advice is that if you are determined to try it, hire an animal broker who is familiar with moving animals between the two countries. They will have relationships with the authorities on both sides and that will grease the wheels of this behemoth of a task.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I hope this move will work out positively for you and your tortoise. I am sure other people in Brazil keep Russian tortoises. People in Canada keep Redfoot tortoises, with the right adjustments according to the species requirements.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi I think he will be ok in the tropics as you will have humidity and heat what you need to be careful with is over heating so he will need to have a cool enclosure near a shady part of a building or under a large tree. Rats may be an issue so be observant and you may need to provide an enclosed secure area with shade , water and food. As mentioned the biggest challenge will be animal transport legislation. I would check with Brazil immigration and a vet if they know what papers and proof of ownership is required. I sm sure you not the first owner to transport a tortoise to Brazil. Good luck
Just found this, have a read and discuss with them...

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
Thanks brother, I was mainly afraid of the humidity as horsefields are from arid places, but as I said the the southeast part there is not a lot of rain and moisture like in the north so I belive I should be fine. I will ask a vet about the proofs of ownership and good health and other documents I may need.

Qwertyuiopgsggs

Weymouth
I've never been to Brazil, but I've hauled all sorts of animals all over the globe. The authorities around the world all have their own flavor of bureaucracy and incompetence. It is not fun. You are subject to the whims of their emotions. They do and say whatever they want whenever they want and answer to no one. The best advice I can give you is to leave the tortoise here and get another one there. The second best advice is that if you are determined to try it, hire an animal broker who is familiar with moving animals between the two countries. They will have relationships with the authorities on both sides and that will grease the wheels of this behemoth of a task.
I was not expecting this reply, but its good to put some self awareness. A friend of mine traveled with his hermans to the emirates, I will ask what kind of papers he took with him but I understand that it might not work the same way. How much exactly is a broker and are they illegal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was not expecting this reply, but its good to put some self awareness. A friend of mine traveled with his hermans to the emirates, I will ask what kind of papers he took with him but I understand that it might not work the same way. How much exactly is a broker and are they illegal?
Every broker sets their own rates, and it will depend on how much of their time and resources are needed. When we travel internationally with animals for the film business, the production company hires and pays for these brokers. There is no way we could do it ourselves. As soon as you learn all the rules and requirements, it all changes. Or the jackass on the other side of the counter simply says "no" just because they feel like it that day. Calls to their bosses or company headquarters accomplish nothing but wasting your time and frustrating you. If this all sounds a bit negative, then my point is getting across. I do this for a living and I choose to send other trainers abroad nowadays, opting to not have to deal with this and these people anymore.

Brokers are essentially facilitators. They do this every day and know what is needed and who to talk to to push these things through. It is completely legal to hire them, and they may in fact help to prevent you from inadvertently breaking some obscure law that you didn't even know about.