Súper Worried! Help!

Hunters9

Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Fl
Hello, I just adopted a hatching sulcata tortoise yesterday. To say it has been a roller coast of a ride this past 24hrs os an understatement. The heating for the enclosed was not strong enough to combat the coldest night here in the last decade which led to the temps dropping to 50 degree Fahrenheit. Once I was able to resolve the problem I noticed the feces was very runny, so I looked at the food in his tray to find the remnants of two eaten bell pepper leaves. I am freaking out because I am worried that this might be fatal for him, since I know now that the leaves are toxic to reptiles. Is there anything I can do or have killed my new friend?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello, I just adopted a hatching sulcata tortoise yesterday. To say it has been a roller coast of a ride this past 24hrs os an understatement. The heating for the enclosed was not strong enough to combat the coldest night here in the last decade which led to the temps dropping to 50 degree Fahrenheit. Once I was able to resolve the problem I noticed the feces was very runny, so I looked at the food in his tray to find the remnants of two eaten bell pepper leaves. I am freaking out because I am worried that this might be fatal for him, since I know now that the leaves are toxic to reptiles. Is there anything I can do or have killed my new friend?
He's not kept outside is he? If he's inside how would the cold get to him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He is kept inside however when I checked the temp of his pen it was still 50 degrees at that time.
You let your house drop to 50 degrees? And you don't have night heat on the enclosure?

We are happy to help. Please read the thread linked by Yvonne and this one too:

Hunters9

Pensacola Fl
Please read this with an open mind. Read it two or three times: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/

I doubt a few bites will prove harmful. Most of the problems people have with "sick" baby sulcatas can be resolved by improving the husbandry. And that care sheet will show you how the baby needs to be set up to thrive.
Thank you for the info! Also I have an update on Little Foot he is fine and happy. I bought a second lamp to combat the cold and he loves it!