lorenam

Location (City and/or State)
Milwaukee, WI
Hi, about two months ago I posted that I got a new Russian Torotise and needed some advice about his enclosure and pretty much everything. The responses were amazing and they truly helped a lot. Since then, I have updated his enclosure to a bigger size and changed his substrate.
The other day I was able to put everything together and now I am back with more questions. They are a lot and are varied, so please any answers would help a lot thank you!
1. I made his enclosure myself to the best of my ability and am now wondering if the walls are too low, he hasn't attempted to climb out, but when he digs he does reach the bottom fast. The substrate is about 3 inches thick with some piled higher where he likes to burrow. I'm wondering whether I should extend the walls or not.
2. With the extra space, I'm finding that the substrate where the light isn't focused on is cold to the touch and while the temp hasn' t dropped below 60, I'm still worried. I was wondering if there is any other lighting things I should be doing to warm the whole of the enclosure. And then at night, I'm worried that it's gonna be too cold, so should I do a night light/heat situation?
3. With the added space, the whole enclosure looks a little bare with only his food/water dishes, some rocks, and his hideaway. Should I add anything else to the enclosure and if yes then what?
I think those are all my questions for now, I would appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20240803_101728.jpg
    20240803_101728.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240803_101723.jpg
    20240803_101723.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
This enclosure looks like a good start!
1. Yes, walls should be raised. Russian tortoises are very good climbers. Also you can make a "lip" so tortoise can't fully stand on back legs to climb out. Wall shape will look similar to "r" letter (or "T"). Also, they often climb out when push themselves against corner - you may put triangular pieces of wood over the corners.
2. Russian tortoises cope with low temperatures just fine when basking area is available. However, if your room drops below 60F at nights you may need ambient heating (a ceramic heat emitter + wide dome + simple on/off thermostat). You may place it closer to its preferred sleeping spot. Covering the whole enclosure with a portable greenhouse top also helps to maintain temperatures when ambient heat has been added.
3. You definitely have a lot of space to add enrichments like hides made of plant pot halves, potted plants (spider plant, hosta, boston fern, carex etc.), flat rocks. The whole point is to break "line of sight", so tortoise can't see the whole enclosure from one point. Two things to keep in mind, though: avoid cluttering and anything can be used to climb out.

lorenam

Milwaukee, WI
Hello!
This enclosure looks like a good start!
1. Yes, walls should be raised. Russian tortoises are very good climbers. Also you can make a "lip" so tortoise can't fully stand on back legs to climb out. Wall shape will look similar to "r" letter (or "T"). Also, they often climb out when push themselves against corner - you may put triangular pieces of wood over the corners.
2. Russian tortoises cope with low temperatures just fine when basking area is available. However, if your room drops below 60F at nights you may need ambient heating (a ceramic heat emitter + wide dome + simple on/off thermostat). You may place it closer to its preferred sleeping spot. Covering the whole enclosure with a portable greenhouse top also helps to maintain temperatures when ambient heat has been added.
3. You definitely have a lot of space to add enrichments like hides made of plant pot halves, potted plants (spider plant, hosta, boston fern, carex etc.), flat rocks. The whole point is to break "line of sight", so tortoise can't see the whole enclosure from one point. Two things to keep in mind, though: avoid cluttering and anything can be used to climb out.
Thank you so much! This helps a lot!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thank you so much for the update!! This is wonderful to see❤️

I agree with Alex that they could probably do with being a bit higher, a lip around the edge is a great suggestion along with those corner pieces, I’ve attached a pic to give you a visual idea of what we mean(sorry they aren’t the best lol)🙂

As long as your temperatures are reading fine all over, don’t worry about the substrate feeling cool to touch, they actually use that to regulate their temperature anyway👍like Alex says though, if your night temps are dropping below 60 I’d get yourself a CHE

Some safe plants and the odd hide would definitely be a nice addition, along with a bit of flat slate for some different texture to walk on🥰

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Thought I’d include some visual inspiration on how to snaz things up a bit😄though I wouldn’t personally bother with the bendy log things, they’d probably rot in no time

With any store brought plants, you want to wash the roots and repot them into coir, then I’ve seen folks say they wait around 6 months to introduce them. You could look to see if reptile/tortoise websites will ship to you to speed things up.
I personally recommend getting a spider plant, planting in coir, getting it established as your mother plant, and let her give you an endless supply of spider plants babies!💚when in the enclosure, if you see them start to sprout their own, cut them off because the seeds and flowers are toxic👍

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1

Wolfpax

Michigan
Air plants are generally non toxic. They look great and you don’t have to worry about what they are planted in, because they don’t need dirt. can stick them into crevices on rocks or driftwood. Great place to check on what plants are safe is the Tortoise Table. Hope that helps.