Safe hibiscus?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
On the tortoise table there is a type of hibiscus that is not safe and a couple types that are safe?

I know rose of Sharon is safe, I have some of that growing in my garden. But I also have this kind...

What is this one called and is it safe?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1503953233.928590.jpg

Thanks! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On the tortoise table there is a type of hibiscus that is not safe and a couple types that are safe?

I know rose of Sharon is safe, I have some of that growing in my garden. But I also have this kind...

What is this one called and is it safe?

Thanks! :)

I feed several varieties of hibiscus to my tortoises. I didn't even know there was a toxic species. I feed rose of sharon, blue hibiscus, lavatera, regular hibiscus of every color I can find, African hibiscus, and I believe mallow is in the hibiscus family too.

Can you share the name of the toxic one, or maybe post a link to the site that shares this info?

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
Howdy All,
I would also love to know which type of hibiscus is apparently toxic to torts. We have plenty of those on our balcony and terrace, some yellow, some white and some red. All acquired under the name "hibiscus". They don't seem to have a specific name for each kind in Chinese.

My torts totally ignore the yellow flowers and will nimble a bit on the red ones, but they are true maniacs when it comes to the white flowers !
Would that be due to a colour affinity / visibility and how torts see the world, or something more sinister and potential toxicology ?

Edit: not immediate urgency, all our hibiscus just got stripped naked by 2 consecutive typhoons !

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
No Hibiscus have demonstrated toxicity. In fact the entire mallow family has very few members that present dangers of any kind.
Some seeds, such as those of cotton should not be fed in quantity.
The Tortoise Table is not 100% adhering to the available science.

Beep-Beep

Hong Kong
No Hibiscus have demonstrated toxicity. In fact the entire mallow family has very few members that present dangers of any kind.
Some seeds, such as those of cotton should not be fed in quantity.
The Tortoise Table is not 100% adhering to the available science.

Good to know, thx Iochroma .
Picky little buggers, ha !

Cheers,
Beep-Beep

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
They say hibiscus trionum is toxic to goats and other animals and they have no evidence for torts, so they don't recommend consumption. The other is St John's wort (Hypericum spp .) which is often called Rose of Sharon. This is not a hibiscus but there is also a Rose of Sharon hibiscus which is safe. They just don't want you to get the two confused.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Hypericum is not in the Malvaceae
Again, there is little to worry about in the family of hibiscus and mallow.