Safe??? Or dangerous!!!!

Darkjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
is this weed, not the dandelion, safe for my sulcata and Russian tortoises. It’s literally everywhere and I just need to know if they can eat it. Thanks so much!!!!

Attachments

• 7F8B8D5B-64A0-4D4A-8BD7-829AE3B03A5F.png
    7F8B8D5B-64A0-4D4A-8BD7-829AE3B03A5F.png
    435.4 KB · Views: 3

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
It looks to be red dead nettle which is safe to feed. Not popular with my tortoises, but hopefully yours will enjoy it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
is this weed, not the dandelion, safe for my sulcata and Russian tortoises. It’s literally everywhere and I just need to know if they can eat it. Thanks so much!!!!
To be sure, take a few whole plants to a local garden center, (Not a hardware store...) and try to meet the resident plant nerd. They will be able to tell you exactly what it is.

EricW

Houston, TX
Red Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum) - some links to review and compare for identification.

Darkjade

5 Year Member
Ohio
It looks to be red dead nettle which is safe to feed. Not popular with my tortoises, but hopefully yours will enjoy it.
To be sure, take a few whole plants to a local garden center, (Not a hardware store...) and try to meet the resident plant nerd. They will be able to tell you exactly what it is.
I will do just that!!!! Thank u!!!!

Darkjade

5 Year Member
Ohio
Red Deadnettle (Lamium purpureum) - some links to review and compare for identification.
Thank you so much!!!!!
thank you so much!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Yes it's safe to feed. I've been feeding it to my sulcatas for many years. When I kept Russians they ate it also. Here's Walker snacking on a mix of yard weeds this morning.KIMG2087.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are a couple plants that look similar. Take a look through the pictures on this thread and find them. Look for creeping charlie, purple dead nettle, (the picture for henbit isn't showing up for me, but do a Google image search for it, as henbit is toxic), (same with carolina geranium) I don't know why some of the pictures aren't showing up.

EricW

Houston, TX
There are a couple plants that look similar. Take a look through the pictures on this thread and find them. Look for creeping charlie, purple dead nettle, (the picture for henbit isn't showing up for me, but do a Google image search for it, as henbit is toxic), (same with carolina geranium) I don't know why some of the pictures aren't showing up.

If the pic will not load for henbit, one of the links I provided compares to henbit with a picture.