Safe weedkiller to keep neighbors tortoises safe

suny99361

Location (City and/or State)
Spokane
Hi,
My dad passed last month and were trying to get his house ready to sell. His neighbor has 2 tortoises and we'd like to know what type of weedkiller we can use that won't harm them.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I am very sorry for your loss. I am no expert but I think any "Weed Killer" is not safe for tortoises. Some more experienced members hopefully will chime in on this but I would be VERY worried if there were any Herbicides on my torts grass. I would think the best weed killer is you (or neighbor) pulling them.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've been looking into this for my own yard and neighbors. She has poison ivy all through her backyard and it's coming over the fence. I watched this YT video and this guy testing different products for poison ivy. He wasn't doing it for a tortoise yard but I wanted to know what he was trying. Anyway, he tried vinegar, salt and dish soap combo and that beat out most of the other stuff on the poison ivy. This is what I'm going to try. You would have to keep up with it but it seems it does work and it will work on most weeds from what I've read. Thank you for thinking of your father's neighbors.

Last edited:

suny99361

Spokane
I am very sorry for your loss. I am no expert but I think any "Weed Killer" is not safe for tortoises. Some more experienced members hopefully will chime in on this but I would be VERY worried if there were any Herbicides on my torts grass. I would think the best weed killer is you (or neighbor) pulling them.
Thank you for the info.

Anastasia 22

Texas
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I've been looking into this for my own yard and neighbors. She has poison ivy all through her backyard and it's coming over the fence. I watched this YT video and this guy testing different products for poison ivy. He wasn't doing it for a tortoise yard but I wanted to know what he was trying. Anyway, he tried vinegar, salt and dish soap combo and that beat out most of the other stuff on the poison ivy. This is what I'm going to try. You would have to keep up with it but it seems it does work and it will work on most weeds from what I've read. Thank you for thinking of your father's neighbors.
I watched this video! And I tried it! It actually dried some of the weeds but not all of them. I also tried some similar stuff to kill fire ants and it didn't work at all. Fire ants just relocated 🤨

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
I watched this video! And I tried it! It actually dried some of the weeds but not all of them. I also tried some similar stuff to kill fire ants and it didn't work at all. Fire ants just relocated 🤨
Oh yes fire ants are hard to get rid of.
I'll try the mix for poison ivy just because it's so close to the tortoise area I don't want to risk it. I've cut so much already off the fence already but ended up with a nice burn from it. The sucky part is I leave on a hill and the poison ivy comes from the house about mine. So I need to tackle it from the neighbors yard.

Attachments

• IMG_20240322_205832483.jpg
    IMG_20240322_205832483.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Anastasia 22

Texas
Oh yes fire ants are hard to get rid of.
I'll try the mix for poison ivy just because it's so close to the tortoise area I don't want to risk it. I've cut so much already off the fence already but ended up with a nice burn from it. The sucky part is I leave on a hill and the poison ivy comes from the house about mine. So I need to tackle it from the neighbors yard.
OMG!!!! Poison ivy is horrible! Please stay safe and take care of your arm!!!