Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I've tried all sorts of stuff. So far I have not found anything that over comes their need for food. During the dry part of the year there is just so little for them to eat here. AZ is the same in this regard. I think repellents would stand a better chance if the rabbits could just walk 50 feet and find something else to eat...

If you find something Joy, please report it. I'll give it a try here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom said:
Jacqui said:
Tom said:
yagyujubei said:

Well yes, BUT, way too much noise in a neighborhood. I found a round called a CB Long. It is a .22lr round, but it is literally whisper quiet. Quieter than a pellet rifle. Not strong enough to cycle a semi, but it has enough power to go through two intact pumpkins and halfway through a 2x4 on the other side.

Just imagine how much damage a stray bullet could do to an innocent person or pet, when you miss your target. Plus isn't that against the law in most cities, towns, and villages?

Are you joking? We aren't drunken high school boys firing wildly into the air. I use a scoped rifle and only take head shots. If I don't have a clean head shot with a safe backstop, my finger never even touches the trigger. Stray bullet?

Here are the four rules of firearm safety. These four rules, or some similar variation, are taught at every firearms school across the nation.
1. Always treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
2. Do not point your gun at anything that you do not wish to destroy.
3. Be aware of your target AND BEYOND.
4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

A person would have to violate at least 3 out of the 4 rules, all at the same time, in order to have a negligent discharge of the type you are afraid of.

Here in CA, under the guidelines of "depredation", it is completely legal to shoot, trap or poison, varmints and any pest that is damaging, or potentially damaging, livestock or landscaping. I was just having a conversation yesterday with a lady friend who raises and trains sheepdogs. Kelpies and border collies. Out here in the sticks, coyotes are a constant threat to her herd of sheep. She tried shooting them, but they are too wary and alert. She called fish and game and they actually came out to her place repeatedly with various traps and snares and showed her how and where to properly use them. So, not only is it legal, the government will actually help you do it and provide you with the necessary equipment.

You live in a dream world, Tom. Your average red neck who takes pot shots at wildlife doesn't care or bother with what's beyond his target. I have bullet holes in my garage (metal building) to prove it.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
I've tried all sorts of stuff. So far I have not found anything that over comes their need for food. During the dry part of the year there is just so little for them to eat here. AZ is the same in this regard. I think repellents would stand a better chance if the rabbits could just walk 50 feet and find something else to eat...

If you find something Joy, please report it. I'll give it a try here.

If I find something I will report it. Since my husband has nixed the idea of chicken wire in the front yard :cool:) I will have to find some other way.

Jacqui said:
I would wonder if any of the urines used like for coon would work? Like cougar, coyote and such.

I know folks use hot pepper, but that could cause problems with the plant as food. There is also garlic to repeal them. I have not ever tried to chase off our rabbits, so I am not sure what natural things really work.

I'm thinking I might try the bloodmeal first and then waste a lot of other money on things that probably won't work either. haha. Guess my best bet is to replant some rubellia in a raised bed (raised really high).

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Predator urine= eating a big steak dinner, drink a lot of water and go pee along your fenceline... ;-)
And i think its run THUMPER run... not Bambi.. this time.
Coffee grounds? its supposed to keep cats away.. maybe rabbits wont like it either.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Laura said:
Predator urine= eating a big steak dinner, drink a lot of water and go pee along your fenceline... ;-)
And i think its run THUMPER run... not Bambi.. this time.
Coffee grounds? its supposed to keep cats away.. maybe rabbits wont like it either.

LOL :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dream world? Rednecks? These are the least eloquent, least tactful things I've ever heard you say.

One irresponsible idiot does not a world make. I have two barns and there are no holes in either of mine. What does that prove?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
DesertGrandma said:
.I'm thinking I might try the bloodmeal first and then waste a lot of other money on things that probably won't work either. haha. Guess my best bet is to replant some rubellia in a raised bed (raised really high).

I am thinking planting in a new really high raised bed just ight be the easiest the fastest, and the cheapest way to go. :cool::D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Jacqui said:
DesertGrandma said:
.I'm thinking I might try the bloodmeal first and then waste a lot of other money on things that probably won't work either. haha. Guess my best bet is to replant some rubellia in a raised bed (raised really high).

I am thinking planting in a new really high raised bed just ight be the easiest the fastest, and the cheapest way to go. :cool::D

Yep, I am leaning that way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.