Safe wood?

StacieJ

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa Florida
Does anyone have any experience with this wood from Home Depot. I want to make sure it is safe before we start rebuilding our enclosure. Thanks. IMG_1964.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Pic not showing for me

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure it’s fine. The wood types you don’t want to build with are ones that are highly aromatic.

That looks like your basic white pine, treated for rot prevention.

Are you making entire enclosure out of this material? Or just the bottom/bits that contact the ground?

The nasty chemicals in “pressure treated wood” are no longer used.

Heres a good article:

https://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infptforraisedgardens.html

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Your Redfoot wont chew on or interact with the wood of the enclosure.
You're going to be fine.
The animals you have that came from me were in a pen made of 100% pressure treated pine. Never any issues and the wood lasts at least 7, 8 years.
I would make sure that the wood is never in an area that is submerged like in a drinking pool. Then I'd be concerned about chemicals leaching into the drinking water.
Other than that. Build away.

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
Does anyone have any experience with this wood from Home Depot. I want to make sure it is safe before we start rebuilding our enclosure. Thanks. View attachment 268691
I would steer clear of anything that says Weathershield since it obviously has been chemically treated in some form. Better to play it safe and not risk your animals getting sick. We are lacking in good scientific research to show what chemicals are safe, and for what species. I've used plain pine and not had that many issues with rotting. It just requires building smartly. And yes there will be some moments when a piece of wood will need replacing. For me it has been worth it in the long run. My tortoise/turtle enclosure has been standing for 16 years.