Sahara's outside enclosure

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Hey guys,
I am pretty new here but I have been reading a ton. I got a 2 year old Sulcata from a guy who wasn't going to be able to keep her anymore. Her name is Sahara! She is super awesome. He did tell me she has been in an aquarium all her life...big one however but I wanted to make her an outdoor enclosure since I read that would be good for her. I live in North Texas so heat is def not an issue. Anyway here is her new home! Any suggestions would be awesome. Also a quick question to the experts. Should I worry about her overheating since she is used to inside? He did not regulate the temps like I've seen on here. Only had a heat and UV light but nothing for night time. Thanks in advance! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496858697.821038.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496858713.729910.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes you need to worry about overheating. The little hide box in the corner will heat up tremendously in direct sun. About half of the enclosure needs to be in shade from a tree, bushes, building, umbrella or something higher over head. Use a remote probed thermometer and check those temps early and often.

Even beyond shade, when temps start reaching the high 90's or above, they need to be able to get underground. When its 105 above ground, they can't cool off enough, even in full shade. They can dig their own burrow, or you can make something for her, but a cooler area will be needed as we get into summer heat.

Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom! Quick question for you. I don't believe I will currently be able to go as amazing as your is but could I essentially make a hide hole? So dig a hole put wood on top and then dirt on top of that? I'm not sure if that make sense but I can see it in my head.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Here are my additions per your specifications. Added the underground hide and a pergola type shade. These look ok? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496868600.129399.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1496868612.681152.jpg

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
You were definitely right about the underground hide. As a matter of fact Sahara slept there last night. I was a bit worried because of the temperature but she seems fine!