San Diego Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
Ok all you USA people. Do you think that San Diego Zoo is worth the driving trip from LA and back? I am an avid zoo fan, Ava loves animals, but is it really worth it? I have been to many other zoo's (London, Edinburgh, Paris, Animal Kingdom, Beijing, Xiolu) and many other smaller ones (knowsley, east midlands, chester, south lakes etc etc). Has anyone here actually been? And what about sea world? Is it just an oer hyped aquarium, are we better off going whale watching instead? I have read the reviews, and the rough guide but it would be helpfull if someone could shed some light!!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Being born and raised in SD county, I have been to them all. I love Sea World. When I was a kid, we went every year for our family trip, it never gets old. I still love Sea World! When I got older though, my family took a trip to the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla. Its AWESOME. Obviously smaller than Sea World, but still just as intriguing, and if you have children, they have hands on activities for the kids. I think either would be fun for Ava though =]

I havn't been to the zoo in years, but in my opinion I like the Wild Animal Park much better. I think the zoo might be bigger [someone correct me if I'm wrong] but ever since I was small, we continually visited both, and I was always much more intrigued by the Wild Animal Park. However they both have their ups and downs of having animals the other park may/may not have. Financially I know the Wild Animal Park used to be slightly less expensive, but again, I havn't been in years so things probably have changed.

M

Maggie Cummings

I think the zoo is amazing but I haven't been there in a few years. However, you can't see it all in one day...

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
maggie3fan said:
you can't see it all in one day...

The rough guide said that the zoo has a train thing to help people get around more quickly? Maybe i should go and look at the actual website instead of the British Guide to visiting California :p Brits are always in too much of a hurry!

Sammi - so many wildlife places and so little time!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only visited the SD zoo once, but I was totally impressed with it. We took the tram, which was nice because then we had someone explaining everything to us. When you walk around on your own, there's no one talking about it for you. Its been so long ago that I don't remember how long the ride was, but we saw the whole zoo and it was wonderful.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
My favorite part of the SD Zoo is the Hummingbird aviary. You MUST see it if you go.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Come pick me up on your way (I'm only in Oregon)! I've always wanted to go! Take lots of pictures please!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
OMG I FREAKING LOVE THE SD ZOO!!!!! I LOVE SAN DIEGO!!!

SEA WORLD IS AWESOME!!! THERE ARE SEA TURTLES THERE!!

ITS A MUST SEE FOR EVERY HUMAN BEING!!!

check out the wild animal park!!! go to downtown san diego! go to balboa park!!! go to coranado, over the huge bridge!

i go every year!

forgot to mention that my last time there was less than a few weeks ago. wonderful place! btw, the SD Zoo has 17 galapagos tortoises! some over 600 lbs!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
The SD Zoo is one of the best in the world and I've visited many in the US, UK, Spain. I correspond with keepers in those zoos I hope to visit.

The zoo downtown SD is a private for profit organization... they got money and the zoo shows it.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Come pick me up on your way (I'm only in Oregon)! I've always wanted to go! Take lots of pictures please!

Unfortunately, i'm not planning on heading through Oregon, but if i was, you could sure catch a lift :)

spikethebest said:
the SD Zoo has 17 galapagos tortoises! some over 600 lbs!

I remember seeing some pictures you posted of the galaps, we only have african spurred here at my local zoo, but london and Beijing have a good collection

I actually really liked Beijing zoo, and it cost a something like three pounds (which was expensive in china, but comparitively cheap) and there is a huge aquarium there too. It gets a lot of bad press from some of the care of the animals (we came accross a shocking bit where the deer were kept) but generally, there was a great collection of animals. The main attraction being the panda's. And it had a great snake/reptile house (though oddly, i remember findind a hippo in there!)

I only asked about the aquarium because it seems you can get some special ticket that is cheaper than paying two entry's and lets you into the zoo and aquarium.

Hummingbird Avery here we come!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The SD Zoo, Sea World AND the Wild Animal Park are all top notch, World Class Facilities. You be doing yourself a disservice if you missed any of them. Been going to all of them since I was a kid and they continually update and improve, even though they are already among the best in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.