Early AM Email from the San Diego Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Dear JD,
Sixty juvenile desert tortoises are now roaming free in an expansive protected habitat in southern Nevada, thanks to a tortoise translocation effort by our team of conservationists. Before the tortoises were released on Friday, September 21, they were fitted with radio transmitters so researchers can track their movements, monitor their health, and learn more about how the animals respond to translocation. This conservation project is part of a long-term collaborative effort to recover the desert tortoise species because it has become threatened in the wild. Partners include the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Nevada National Security Site, and San Diego Zoo Global.
Best regards,
San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy Team
[email protected]

Direct Link : For more on the story …even a cool video:

http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/News/what_young_desert_tortoises_are_wearing_this_season/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hey, that's pretty cool. I'd love to see what they learn from this.

SDDTMama

5 Year Member
Yay!! :D As the 'mommy' of a hatchling CDT whom I suspect was plucked from the wild, :( (I received 'him' from a coworker who told me it was a sulcata; she got 'him' from a friend of hers who acquired 'him', then looked into it and decided there's way too much $$ and time involved to properly care for one) this story makes me so happy!!
My heart breaks for my poor lil' Owen, who will never know the life he was born to live. :(
I'm so happy the zoo right in my own backyard is working so hard to help this wonderful, curious, beautiful species recover from the disease, predation, expanding development, off-highway vehicles, invasion of non-native grasses and weeds, fire, **collection**, poachers, sheep & cattle grazing, mining, and drought that have threatened their very existence. I am now a tortoise advocate for life!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I'm so glad that people care about torts. Great news!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
N2TORTS said:
Dear JD,
Sixty juvenile desert tortoises are now roaming free in an expansive protected habitat in southern Nevada, thanks to a tortoise translocation effort by our team of conservationists. Before the tortoises were released on Friday, September 21, they were fitted with radio transmitters so researchers can track their movements, monitor their health, and learn more about how the animals respond to translocation. This conservation project is part of a long-term collaborative effort to recover the desert tortoise species because it has become threatened in the wild. Partners include the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Nevada National Security Site, and San Diego Zoo Global.
Best regards,
San Diego Zoo Global Wildlife Conservancy Team
[email protected]

Direct Link : For more on the story …even a cool video:

http://www.sandiegozooglobal.org/News/what_young_desert_tortoises_are_wearing_this_season/

This is really cool. They should do a website like what is available with sea turtles. Where you can pick one and track it on the web. Also you can adopt one and watch its path. Would bring more money and interest to the cause. Just a suggestion, a good one if I might say myself:D

Status
Not open for further replies.