Sand / Soil

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Yes and sand is usually beige/white and soil is brown dirt. Guessing you use different names in South Africa? Soil is what most plant in if that’s helpful.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes and sand is usually beige/white and soil is brown dirt. Guessing you use different names in South Africa? Soil is what most plant in if that’s helpful.
Okay. Thanks. I was just curious. I look at my garden and my plants and trees grow beautifully in it. BUT i have always thought of it as being sand. However if I think about potting sand that they sell in nurseries then I suppose that would be soil. More experienced gardeners would know the difference. I just wasn't sure. And I was re-reading Toms care sheet and was curious to know what the actual difference was.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Okay. Thanks. I was just curious. I look at my garden and my plants and trees grow beautifully in it. BUT i have always thought of it as being sand. However if I think about potting sand that they sell in nurseries then I suppose that would be soil. More experienced gardeners would know the difference. I just wasn't sure. And I was re-reading Toms care sheet and was curious to know what the actual difference was.
Soil would absorb water better than sand correct.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Soil would absorb water better than sand correct.
Yes.

Sand is simply made of ground stones. Natural soil contains (more or less) sand, but also organic stuff (compost, microorganisms,...).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sand is a word used to define the particle size of inert rock or mineral pieces. "Gravel" particles could be of the same material, only larger sized, and "silt" would be smaller sized particles of the same material.

"Soil" could be a combination of many things, but composted, decaying organic matter is a primary component.

You can mix sand sized rock or mineral particles in to soil, and it changes its drainage and water carrying capacity and its texture. This is a typical soil mix used for cacti and other succulents.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yes.

Sand is simply made of ground stones. Natural soil contains (more or less) sand, but also organic stuff (compost, microorganisms,...).
Thank you both.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sand is a word used to define the particle size of inert rock or mineral pieces. "Gravel" particles could be of the same material, only larger sized, and "silt" would be smaller sized particles of the same material.

"Soil" could be a combination of many things, but composted, decaying organic matter is a primary component.

You can mix sand sized rock or mineral particles in to soil, and it changes its drainage and water carrying capacity and its texture. This is a typical soil mix used for cacti and other succulents.
Thank you Tom.

So this is the type you are refering to in your care sheet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom.

So this is the type you are refering to in your care sheet.

I don't know which reference or which care sheet you are asking about.

Unless you live on a beach or in a sand dune area, the stuff on the ground outside your house would be dirt. Wet it and add some decaying organic matter and your dirt becomes "soil".

I don't recommend using any kind of bought in a bag soil for tortoise substrate because there is no way to know what composted material it is made of. I think soil is fine if a person makes it themselves out of known safe materials. Its still too messy for me though.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Unless you live on a beach or in sand dune area, the stuff on the ground outside your house would be dirt. Wet it and add some decaying organic matter and your dirt becomes "soil".

I don't recommend using any kind of bought in a bag soil for tortoise substrate because there is no way to know what composted material it is made of. I think soil is fine if a person makes it themselves out of known safe materials. Its still too messy for me though.
I am using orchard bark at the moment. But was reading your Sulcata care sheet and was interested in the difference. However I like to know what all the different options are and to make sure I know what it is. So this is to make sure that I know what the difference is.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Unless you live on a beach or in a sand dune area, the stuff on the ground outside your house would be dirt. Wet it and add some decaying organic matter and your dirt becomes "soil".

And thank you once again. Everybody is always so helpful.