Sassy

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Well - no pictures till site gets fixed , but an update.

Sassy Sally is ... Drum roll .......

a he.

Had a friend hold him up to inspect the plastron and low & behold ..

Concave plastron. Washed her and out popped her - uhhhh - his manhood

So the gal I adopted her from had him 8 yrs and called him Sally. Said he was a she. Poor guy. So now maybe a new name , my Sassy Sally needs a new handle.
My gal is a guy
Hummmmm ..... Guy
I like that.
My Sassy Guy

and the saga begins .....

Alaskamike

South Florida
Had some friends over Saturday , they were intrigued with Sal and went out to the yard to visit him.

Well.... Scamp that he is , he decided with all that attention it would be a good time to show off his manhood. One gal squealed " His insides are coming out !"

I wish I'd had my video recorder. Not to take. Pics of Sal - but to see the looks on their face when fist confronted with a 36 lb sulcata penis.

It was priceless. :)

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Had some friends over Saturday , they were intrigued with Sal and went out to the yard to visit him.

Well.... Scamp that he is , he decided with all that attention it would be a good time to show off his manhood. One gal squealed " His insides are coming out !"

I wish I'd had my video recorder. Not to take. Pics of Sal - but to see the looks on their face when fist confronted with a 36 lb sulcata penis.

It was priceless. :)
LOL....at least no one asked you where the nipples are. I get that in the bird world all the time.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Sal, Sally, I doubt he cares much as long as the grass keeps growing in the yard. We have a Vern who was Laverne until "his insides came out" and the last owner rushed him to the pet emergency clinic. She got a talk about, birds, bees, and how when he climbs up on her shoe and grunts it wasn't because he wanted to be picked up.
He is still quite proud to show off his manhood to anyone who will hold still long enough for him to mount. When a warm foot isn't available there are always rocks, logs, food dishes, a vacuum cleaner...

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal coming out to check out the morning sun.
Grazes in the yard several hours in AM and several hours each night when it cools a bit.
He's picked out a favorite resting spot when it gets hot under some shrubs. Made a depression and hunkers down.
Good think I have a fenced yard for him to mow. He eats an amazing amount of grass & weeds.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440593114.141669.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal now roams my 1/4 acre back yard at will. He is fenced with chain link ( I know it's not the best barrier )

He seems very content with this amount of space and has explored every inch , choosing a spot right under some shrubs to park it when done eating. Very habitual , if I can't find him anywhere else eating and walking that's where he is. Even sleeps in same depression he made every night. I leave the door open to his other enclosure for access to his house , but no , he wants to sleep under that shrub.

We only have about 3 months of cool weather here , right now it only gets down to 75 at night - if that.

But in Dec - Feb, it can dip into the 40s.

I suppose then I'll need to put him in his enclosure so he sleeps in the heated house.
Here he is in his " spot"
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1440687332.856962.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Sal now roams my 1/4 acre back yard at will. He is fenced with chain link ( I know it's not the best barrier )

He seems very content with this amount of space and has explored every inch , choosing a spot right under some shrubs to park it when done eating. Very habitual , if I can't find him anywhere else eating and walking that's where he is. Even sleeps in same depression he made every night. I leave the door open to his other enclosure for access to his house , but no , he wants to sleep under that shrub.

We only have about 3 months of cool weather here , right now it only gets down to 75 at night - if that.

But in Dec - Feb, it can dip into the 40s.

I suppose then I'll need to put him in his enclosure so he sleeps in the heated house.
Here he is in his " spot"
View attachment 145553
Hopefully, he will go to the enclosure when it is too cold for him. Charlie has always come up on the patio to his whenever the weather is really bad even though he had a burrow. Now that he no longer has a burrow, he has a new fancier house on the patio so I'm hoping he'll figure out that is where he needs to be when it is cold. He is too big for me to move. I want to borrow your floor mat idea for his door! Did you put two back to back so both sides are smooth? Are they glued together?

Alaskamike

South Florida
They are not glued just overlapped because door was wider then the mats. I put the knobby sides in to each other so both sides are smooth. He pushes right through it like nothing and they are heavy enough plastic they just fall right back into place
I've used strips before , I like these better. Stronger.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Funny said Big Charlie is too big for you to move.
Sal only weighs abt 40 lbs. But the way you have to pick him up. Kinda leaned over and a bit out from your body lets me know that by 70 + lbs it will be a potential back issue for one person.
I'm training him to follow me for a treat now. It's working pretty well

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
They are not glued just overlapped because door was wider then the mats. I put the knobby sides in to each other so both sides are smooth. He pushes right through it like nothing and they are heavy enough plastic they just fall right back into place
I've used strips before , I like these better. Stronger.
Thanks. Are they these? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV5CN22/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 My door opening is 2 x 2, I think.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Funny said Big Charlie is too big for you to move.
Sal only weighs abt 40 lbs. But the way you have to pick him up. Kinda leaned over and a bit out from your body lets me know that by 70 + lbs it will be a potential back issue for one person.
I'm training him to follow me for a treat now. It's working pretty well
He feels like he is glued to the ground. We have gotten him on top of something flat like a tarp and then pulled that with great difficulty, but that was a few years ago. I have gotten him to follow me for food too, but if it is bedtime, I don't think that is going to work. He is a creature of habit; all I have to do is get him used to the idea, then he'll start going there on his own, I hope.

I know someone with Galapagos who somehow brings them in when it is cold, but I have no idea how she does it.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Aldabraman brings in 300-550 lb ones into a barn in winter for nights. They follow him in for a treat !