Sassy

Alaskamike

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Sal got caught....
caught digging a burrow under my shed. But it's okay, really a good spot for one, and I'd rather there than under the chain link into another lot. I'll try to get a pic of him throwing dirt tomorrow if he goes back to it. Crazy guy :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal has begun a new project ...
A burrow under the shed. I saw some dirt flying and sure enough , he has a good start
I'll get a picture tomorrow

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Sal has begun a new project ...
A burrow under the shed. I saw some dirt flying and sure enough , he has a good start
I'll get a picture tomorrow
Be careful! We thought Charlie had started a burrow in a good spot too, and it was a great spot for several years, until we were worried our house might collapse. He never stopped digging! If the shed has a concrete base, he could scrape his shell on the concrete. I still think it is good for them to have burrows, especially in the summer, so they can get out of the heat.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Yes. I do know it can get crazy. This shed is 10'x 16'. Aluminum walled And set on 2 - 8"x12" ' ( like railroad ties)
The corners are cabled in to steel anchors.

I would be concerned about a burrow that went under my house , driveway, or lanai. I couldn't allow that ! I think I saw the thread on Big Charlie's fiasco Here the rains could create a sink hole too, always a concern.

The folks I got him from said he never tried to dig in their yard. Course they said he was a girl too. Hahahaha.

I don't mind, in fact I too think a burrow is good for them. I planned on digging one for him eventually with a box and lined tunnel. But if he digs his own so much the better. Saves me the work. Long as it's in an okay area. My cat wasn't happy. He likes to lay under the shed sometimes and hunt little critters under there.

We have allot of sand here. So I do wonder about collapse in the rainy season. We will see.

This shed is also not on my property line , but deeper in my yard so all his tunnel will be in the yard - at least up to about 30'.

He's already got it under the cross beams. It's funny he dug for awhile. Went about 6'. Then when it started to get dark. Went back to his sleeping spot under the shrubs. Like a contractor building a house. :) - one day at a time.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal's new Jewelry -
Got him a dog tag. That time he got out and got 6 blocks away freaked me a bit.

Amazing how far they can walk in a short time !
& even though I'm sure I have all potential escape routes blocked now .. This gives me more peace of mind.

Put it on with a product called PC-7 Marine 2part Epoxy
I scratched & sanded back of tag , sanded his shell. & seated it good.
I had to bend the rage a bit to form to shell. Kept it off growth lines.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1441919238.278276.jpg

Not as neat as I would have liked - but should do the job. :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal is doing well. Grazes daily and has several favorite night spots. Sometimes he sleeps under the shrubs , sometimes in his house.

Several times a week I give him Mazuri and some treats like watermelon , a boiled egg , or squash. He likes cucumber too.

I don't let him on my lanai often cause he poops like a horse :)

Here he is this morning peeking out of his house to see what the day will bring.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443788410.772219.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
Sal getting some treats prepared on a bed of Orchard grass. He was interested in the wine - but I decided that was a bridge too far , so I drank
It :) ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1449074542.970817.jpg

Alaskamike

South Florida
IMG_7461.JPG IMG_7453.JPG So got weight today. Right at 50 lbs. he was 36 lbs when I got him in Aug of 2015. So he's gaining. Not real fast but okay.

And 'fore ya ask , that's a dog tag epoxied to his shell with my phone #. He got out once. Took almost a week to locate him.

He loves his occasional squash.