Saving Leftovers

Introduction

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio tx
I want to know yall’s thoughts, tips, suggestion, ideas on saving leftover food? Sometimes I cut up too much food for my 6 and 1/2 month old red foot tortoise or sometimes they do not eat everything on the plate. I’m thinking about freezing the leftovers. Obviously I would put the date on the press n seal item.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depends on what it is. I don't know if I would save what is left on their plate as their food should be left out for the day so they can graze on and off as they please. But left over that you didn't feed would be fine. Greens however will turn to mush.

Introduction

San Antonio tx
Depends on what it is. I don't know if I would save what is left on their plate as their food should be left out for the day so they can graze on and off as they please. But left over that you didn't feed would be fine. Greens however will turn to mush

I don’t save what is on their plate. So far only white mushrooms & boiled shrimp.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Will do & thank you.
Any time.
Redfoot can eat a huge variety of foods. And aren't picky about it, either.
Especially as they get older.
It's one of the great things about the species.
Just feed a variety. And you'll be fine.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I wouldn't do it. What if they have urinated on it, or walked in 💩. You can't see it but it's icky. My opinion fresh food every day. When Ink was growing, I would feed him less than what I was feeding him , and if it was all gone later, I would give him a little more to see if he finished it. Then adjusted his food accordingly. He eats a little bit less in the winter, so I adjust. If it was on a plate that was feed to the tortoise. Otherwise I have frozen my box turtle's food.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I wouldn't do it. What if they have urinated on it, or walked in 💩. You can't see it but it's icky. My opinion fresh food every day. When Ink was growing, I would feed him less than what I was feeding him , and if it was all gone later, I would give him a little more to see if he finished it. Then adjusted his food accordingly. He eats a little bit less in the winter, so I adjust. If it was on a plate that was feed to the tortoise. Otherwise I have frozen my box turtle's food.
I'm assuming left-overs. As in made too much of it.
I also don't reccomend placing uneaten and likely contaminated food back into the freezer.
Throw away the uneaten portion.
I totally misread that.
If you made too much, you can freeze it. But if they didn't eat everything on the plate, throw that part away.

Reactions: Ink

Introduction

San Antonio tx
Agreed the food on the plate shouldn’t be saved & I will try about giving less on their plate at first. Then give more late if all gone, thanks.

Reactions: Ink

Introduction

San Antonio tx
I'm assuming left-overs. As in made too much of it.
I also don't reccomend placing uneaten and likely contaminated food back into the freezer.
Throw away the uneaten portion.
I totally misread that.
If you made too much, you can freeze it. But if they didn't eat everything on the plate, throw that part away.
Got it & thank you.