Scammer!!!

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
So a few days ago I posted on here that me and my wife were looking for a leopard tortoise.

User Hermann88 messaged me saying he has a couple leftover and gave me pricing (picture attached).

I texted him and we communicated back and forth. It was a normal exchange. He had a couple juvenile leopard tortoise picture and said he would do 140$ plus shipping per tortoise (we just wanted one).

I paid him through PayPal on Sunday he said it would ship Tuesday but no later than Wednesday. He’s since gone completely ghost on me won’t respond to calls texts or emails. So please be careful everyone. I should have been smarter. Not sure what I could have done differently it seemed real.

Mods might want to ban that user though he’s just here to rip people off now I’m out 186$ and I just wanted a tortoise.

Attachments

• 763A9262-1D09-486B-BFCB-B4C9CDD8BF0D.png
    763A9262-1D09-486B-BFCB-B4C9CDD8BF0D.png
    660.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 74864F56-86E4-45B2-AB45-4ADBD882C12E.png
    74864F56-86E4-45B2-AB45-4ADBD882C12E.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 118

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
That’s horrible!!! I’ve read to always be cautious of new members but it’s human nature to want to believe . so many people are just out to take advantage these days and it ruins the whole spectrum for the honest folks [emoji35]
Thanks for making us aware .

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
That’s horrible!!! I’ve read to always be cautious of new members but it’s human nature to want to believe . so many people are just out to take advantage these days and it ruins the whole spectrum for the honest folks [emoji35]
Thanks for making us aware .

Yes. And I noticed he just joined in September. That was a red flag but everything he was saying and all the pictures just seemed so legit. On with PayPal now trying to get a refund but I don’t want anyone else to have to go through this. Seems like a lot of work to go to just to scam someone out of $186.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
A good precaution is to ask for a picture of the Tortoise with a piece of paper next to it with the date written on it. If it's a scammer and they don't have the Tortoise they won't be able to provide this.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Also Google image search to see if the picture is stolen.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
A good precaution is to ask for a picture of the Tortoise with a piece of paper next to it with the date written on it. If it's a scammer and they don't have the Tortoise they won't be able to provide this.

Ugh. This is good information. I even asked for different pictures like of the bottom and side and he provided me all of that. I was sure to check google images too and make sure I didn’t see those pictures anywhere. Lesson learned. Here are all the pictures he/she provided.

Attachments

• 41A9CF13-71DD-4D36-AAEF-4C3B6EC3C546.png
    41A9CF13-71DD-4D36-AAEF-4C3B6EC3C546.png
    8.1 MB · Views: 83
  • F933AC8F-68D6-4A0C-BFB4-94B4DD9E7261.jpeg
    F933AC8F-68D6-4A0C-BFB4-94B4DD9E7261.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • F1A52CFB-740C-4295-B664-37D44AF7C9F4.jpeg
    F1A52CFB-740C-4295-B664-37D44AF7C9F4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 91F24966-8DC5-4543-9F24-CFC3639CF6FF.jpeg
    91F24966-8DC5-4543-9F24-CFC3639CF6FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I’m hoping PayPal is good with refunding. Anyone ever had to request a refund for a payment on PayPal? Really hoping I’m not SOL here. This was gonna be a surprise gift for my wife’s birthday in 2 weeks.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
@Hermann88 could have also happen to be a tortoise owner/breeder that scams people from sites like tortoise forum. Personally I would be cautious to do business with anyone that doesn't have a single post in their record. Definitely go through a person's posting records and check the advice they give before making these decisions. 100+ of useful, detailed posts would be a good indication of someone that is here to stay.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I’m hoping PayPal is good with refunding. Anyone ever had to request a refund for a payment on PayPal? Really hoping I’m not SOL here. This was gonna be a surprise gift for my wife’s birthday in 2 weeks.
Not sure about PayPal but could you dispute the charge on your card?

Melis

Maryland
Did you use the “goods and services” or “friends and family” option on PayPal?

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
Did you get any tracking info? You have to start a claim with PayPal. They will reach out to the seller, and if the seller can’t provide tracking info, PayPal will refund your money.

Yes. I actually just got off the phone with PayPal. Claim is started. If seller doesn’t respond by Saturday then I should get a full refund.

Thanks everyone for the help on this! I should have been more careful.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
So after this extravaganza I’m back on the prowl for a leopard tortoise preferably 1-3 years old.

Reptilony

QC, CAN
Wow that's bad...I hate scammers...Sorry you had to go trough this, im sure there are good leopards breeders on this forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just checked his profile and he has signed on with over 50 different IP addresses, and a random check doesn't show any of them in Florida, like where he says he is.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I just checked his profile and he has signed on with over 50 different IP addresses, and a random check doesn't show any of them in Florida, like where he says he is.

Geez. He must do this all the time. If anyone is bored at work and wants to follow an update on this case it gets more interesting.

So when I filed my reclaim with PayPal yesterday it was for an item that was never shipped/received. But today when I called PayPal to follow up they advised me that the seller provided a USPS tracking number on the reclaim file. They gave me this “new” tracking number and it’s for an envelope that shipped out 09/24 which was the day after I paid for the tortoise) and will be arriving on Saturday 09/29. (For those wondering it shipped out of Hollywood Florida so he is in Florida).

This obviously won’t be a tortoise but my guess is he goes and ships an envelope with nothing of importance in it just so he can provide a valid tracking number to PayPal which will in return allow him more time on the reclaim case. Because now I can’t do anything through PayPal until the “package” is delivered on Saturday then I have to update my reclaim file to “item not received as described”.

My next step today is calling the post office and seeing if they will tell me what the delivery address is listed on that package. I doubt it’s even coming to my house but maybe it is. I think it’s just a way for him to buy more time.