Scooter doesn't seem to be growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
Well, Scooter went to the vet today. She says she is worried that he has an extreme case of worms. So, Scooter is home for now. (Until he poops) Then, it is off to the vet again to get it tested and (HOPEFULLY!) get my little boy better!! I feel so bad for him right now...he's in a box with a paper towel, food, and his heat lamp. I take him out every once in a while to give him water....but I really wish he'd just poop already....

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I will be praying for your little Scooter to feel better soon. I am sorry, that would be worrisome. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
lovelyrosepetal said:
I will be praying for your little Scooter to feel better soon. I am sorry, that would be worrisome. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Thanks! and I will for sure keep everyone updated! I don't know what I would do if something happened to him...

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
Scooter passed away today.... I've been crying all day. I woke up this morning, gave him a soak, and put him back and 3 hours later I checked on him and he was unresponsive. I called the vet crying and an hour later his eyes were sunken in and he was gone. The vet said there was nothing I could have done and since he had not grown since I got him, he had gotten whatever he had from while he was with the breeder. The vet said they were surprised he had even lived this long. Thank you to everyone who was rooting for him. I know he was a happy tortoise despite this.

MnM10

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness I was hoping to read a happy ending... I'm so very sorry for your loss..

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Oh, how horrible... You did a great job with him, did everything you could. He was lucky to have you looking out for him.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
That was so heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. It literally hurt my heart when I read that and I sympathize with you. You gave him the best life he could have possibly had and I'm sure he was grateful to be in your care. I hope this doesn't turn you off to possibly getting a nice healthy one in the future. You obviously are a dedicated caretaker and some little tort would be so lucky to have a mommy like you. Hang in there. I'll be thinking of you. :(

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
So sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for him :-(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So sorry for you. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

jpmcclure

5 Year Member
Modesto (Northern) California
Not sure if I'm allowed to "plug" breeders in here. If not I apologize and pls delete. I got Thor from tortoisesupply.com. I think his name was Tyler. Other than the rock eating, he's been very healthy and happy ever since. He arrived completely healthy and adorable and the price was good.

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I am so very sorry. I did not check this thread before I pm'd you about him. I was praying for you last night and this morning so I am sure that the Lord will bless you with comfort during this hard time. I am with everyone else and am hoping that you feel better. I am also sure that you did the best you could and that nothing anyone did could have been better. When you are feeling better I would definitely get another one if you are able to. I am so,so very sorry.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I'm very sorry to hear this. I was really hoping this little guy would make it. :(
The fact that he lived as long as he did in his condition shows that he was loved and well cared for. I honestly do not think there was anything else you could've done for him (and I don't say that often). Some things are just not meant to be.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Yea i was shocked to hear the age and how he had worms, worms should have been taking all his vitamins, im sorrry he died its so sad, if you ever want to be an owner, the breeders on here are top notch, you should talk to the breeder who sold you your tort, he needs to compensate you

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
I'm so sorry for your loss :( at least you know that because of your excellent care he survived longer then anyone seems to think he should have.

LiveTilWeLaugh

5 Year Member
Thank you all for your condolences, it really is making me feel better knowing that I was doing everything I could. I am unsure of whether I will get another tortoise (I am definitely considering it) but it's not something I feel I can let into my heart right now. I have tried contacting the breeder and they said they have a 5 day guarantee and there is nothing they would do. Which, I know, is crap. But there isn't much I can do.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
There should be something you can do, 5 day guarantee is pretty much nothing :(, the fact that your tortoise had worms shows that he got them from the breeders area, so he should have had his enclosures clean, i would be pissed if he sold me a tortoise that was infected, a piece of evidence that the worms had been there from day 1 is that the tortoise hadnt grown a bit, if it had grown then stopped growing then it would be a bit harder to see if he was the culprit. hopefully you can get him to give you another but some people are really stubborn :(

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
jpmcclure said:
I wouldn't even want another from him. When/if I was ready, I'd definitely get one from a breeder on here.

You made a pretty good point there :), hopefully you will decide to find another companion, seems like you would be a great friend to your new tort :)) hopefully you feel better soon about what happened, i know what it feels like to lose a pet. Take care :))

Status
Not open for further replies.