Scorpions

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nope.... Not happening. I'd have to break out the heavy artillery.... Like a blow torch. Might burn the house down, but the scorpion would be gone :D
I'm with you. I cant do scorpions. They scare the **** out of me. Luckily I dont have them where I live but I'm always looking out for them when I visit my friend in AZ

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I'm with you. I cant do scorpions. They scare the **** out of me. Luckily I dont have them where I live but I'm always looking out for them when I visit my friend in AZ
Interesting that I was born and raised, and still live in southern Arizona. And I've never seen a live scorpion. Never in my house, or outside my house, or out in the desert. But I probably just now jinxed that by saying it... [emoji23]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Interesting that I was born and raised, and still live in southern Arizona. And I've never seen a live scorpion. Never in my house, or outside my house, or out in the desert. But I probably just now jinxed that by saying it... [emoji23]
Wow that's amazing. I was visiting my friend once and the neighbor lady got stung. The thing had survived the dry within her jeans. Got stung on her inner thigh when she put them on, yikes. She was in pain about 3 days. I check the bed, wont put my suitcase and stuff on the floor and am cautious when sitting on patio furniture. My friend has only had about 3 in her house but sees them in her sheds.
Yes, you did jinx yourself so keep an eye out. The little ones that are clear looking are the worse and harder to see.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Where I live we have 2 main types, a large (3.5-4 in) one, and a small (2 in) clear one. The sting is more serious from the small one.

I have seen one of the large in my garage, plus several outside.

2.5 years ago I was stung by a small one...in my bed..while I slept. Yes, it woke me up. No, I did not know at the time what had hurt me.

Within 24 hours I had a fever of 103, an abscess, and a large area of cellulitis (on my stomach).

A CT scan, 3 strong antibiotics, an incision and drainage, and 3 weeks later, I was well.

They are nasty SOB's...I've had a few in the house since, but my cat dispenses with them quickly and efficiently, unless I get them first.
Now that is why they really scare me. The potential of so much damage and pain. So glad you are okay now.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Nope.... Not happening. I'd have to break out the heavy artillery.... Like a blow torch. Might burn the house down, but the scorpion would be gone :D
Actually, I would suggest an RPG launcher. More distance, and faster. They are MUCH faster than torts, you know. [emoji2][emoji889]

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
It gets much colder in Tucson in winter than here...I wonder if that makes a difference?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Wow that's amazing. I was visiting my friend once and the neighbor lady got stung. The thing had survived the dry within her jeans. Got stung on her inner thigh when she put them on, yikes. She was in pain about 3 days. I check the bed, wont put my suitcase and stuff on the floor and am cautious when sitting on patio furniture. My friend has only had about 3 in her house but sees them in her sheds.
Yes, you did jinx yourself so keep an eye out. The little ones that are clear looking are the worse and harder to see.
Oh boy...and I thought my stomach was bad!

One of the places they like is dark, close places, like snuggled between layers of folded towels, clothes, underwear, etc. So keep checking your suitcase, and anything folded.

I have seen one run in my sliding door when I let my dogs in.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Now that is why they really scare me. The potential of so much damage and pain. So glad you are okay now.
Thank you. I was really sick for about a week. I probably had a bad reaction because I have rheumatoid arthritis, and the meds I take suppress my immune system. I have to be careful.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
if you think about it, scorpions are just crabs with sting.
and they do tastes like little crabs.