Scorpions

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi
We had a visitor this morning in our kitchen. I have never had one visit me before and did not even realise that we had them in our area.
Any ideas on how I can stop them from visiting again without resorting to poison? As obviously with the torts I cannot chance putting poison down.IMG-20190305-WA0001.jpeg

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi
We had a visitor this morning in our kitchen. I have never had one visit me before and did not even realise that we had them in our area.
Any ideas on how I can stop them from visiting again without resorting to poison? As obviously with the torts I cannot chance putting poison down.View attachment 266530

Oh no!!! Peppermint oil around your home boundaries will stop most unwanted critters like that. My mother has them in her area and that worked for her.. she has yorkes that she was worried about with poison.. if you can stand the smell, it repels fleas and other creepy crawlies.. I think you can buy a small bottle that mixes with water to mop with...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So with some more research it looks like this one is not venomous, but apparently does give a nasty sting. The one below does look like it's body is slightly thinner than the one in my pic, but the markings are more or less the same. I will post another picture of my original picture, which I have lightened in order to see it more clearly. I still want to know how to keep them out:

upload_2019-3-5_13-42-25.png

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Oh no!!! Peppermint oil around your home boundaries will stop most unwanted critters like that. My mother has them in her area and that worked for her.. she has yorkes that she was worried about with poison.. if you can stand the smell, it repels fleas and other creepy crawlies.. I think you can buy a small bottle that mixes with water to mop with...
Awesome. I will definitely try that. Thanks Heather.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So with some more research it looks like this one is not venomous, but apparently does give a nasty sting. The one below does look like it's body is slightly thinner than the one in my pic, but the markings are more or less the same. I will post another picture of my original picture, which I have lightened in order to see it more clearly. I still want to know how to keep them out:

View attachment 266531
Lightened original picture.20190305_134521.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All scorpions (And spiders too...) are venomous. Some are just less toxic to humans than others.

We have them here too, but I hardly ever see them and it really isn't an issue. I think they are kind of neat! You guys have several species. I found a really cool one when I was staying in George up near the Wilderness Area. I never did get it ID'd. It looked a lot like and African Emperor scorpion, but it was a little flatter, and not quite as dark. The one I found was big. Around 14cm. It was under a rock and it was almost purple in color. I wanted to bring it home, but that's not legal...

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
All scorpions (And spiders too...) are venomous. Some are just less toxic to humans than others.

We have them here too, but I hardly ever see them and it really isn't an issue. I think they are kind of neat! You guys have several species. I found a really cool one when I was staying in George up near the Wilderness Area. I never did get it ID'd. It looked a lot like and African Emperor scorpion, but it was a little flatter, and not quite as dark. The one I found was big. Around 14cm. It was under a rock and it was almost purple in color. I wanted to bring it home, but that's not legal...
Ha ha ha. You can have my one. I don't know enough about them to feel comfortable with them. And yes I could learn, but scorpions for some reason really scare me. They really need to stay outside. I found out that if you sprinkle cinnamon around your house and the borders of doors and windows, that and lavender oil will help to repel them. They apparently don't like the smell. So that is what I am going to try. I was told that apparently once put into the vlei over the wall that it will most probably not come back. Which I am hoping is the case. I must admit to being very surprised, as we have stayed there for over 13 years and I have never seen one. Must be because of how dry everything it lately.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Was it like this one: They look quite similar.

upload_2019-3-5_16-16-32.pngupload_2019-3-5_16-17-8.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Was it like this one: They look quite similar.

Going off of 14 year old memories, it looked most like the Hadogenes that you posted. Funny. It doesn't seem that long ago, but we didn't have Wikipedia or Siri in our pocket back then. You had to actually crack open a book to learn this stuff. The internet was up and running back then, but I din't have any use for it. I didn't even have, or need, a computer back then.

I didn't even have a camera back then. It was actually on that trip that I learned how easy digital cameras were from my 23 year old SA girlfriend. Months after I got home I went and got a digital camera, and then got a computer to download my pictures to. There was a long stretch of my life that was totally undocumented by any camera. I sometimes wish I had pictures of some of that stuff...

Chasen

Galveston

When I lived in Sky Valley, Ca I saw them often. One eve I heard a clicking noise in the kitchen where I found a huge scorpion walking across the tile. With every step it's pinchers would hit the tile making the noise. Another time I was stung on the side of my bare foot (what I got for walking outside at nite with no shoes). The sting was less painful that a bee and didn't last as long.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
That reminds me of when I found an adder in my garden while my torts where out. Scary times, but they have a very secure outside pen.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Going off of 14 year old memories, it looked most like the Hadogenes that you posted. Funny. It doesn't seem that long ago, but we didn't have Wikipedia or Siri in our pocket back then. You had to actually crack open a book to learn this stuff. The internet was up and running back then, but I din't have any use for it. I didn't even have, or need, a computer back then.

I didn't even have a camera back then. It was actually on that trip that I learned how easy digital cameras were from my 23 year old SA girlfriend. Months after I got home I went and got a digital camera, and then got a computer to download my pictures to. There was a long stretch of my life that was totally undocumented by any camera. I sometimes wish I had pictures of some of that stuff...
Some time in the future camera's will be obsolete and we will have 3d images. Then we will be saying what you just said. [emoji23] [emoji23]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
When I lived in Sky Valley, Ca I saw them often. One eve I heard a clicking noise in the kitchen where I found a huge scorpion walking across the tile. With every step it's pinchers would hit the tile making the noise. Another time I was stung on the side of my bare foot (what I got for walking outside at nite with no shoes). The sting was less painful that a bee and didn't last as long.
Scary.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No actually haven't seen it yet. Mmm something new to watch. It is not a horror is it?
Not really. No. It was described to me as a modern day "Twilight Zone". It kind of is. Each episode is its own stand alone thing.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Where I live we have 2 main types, a large (3.5-4 in) one, and a small (2 in) clear one. The sting is more serious from the small one.

I have seen one of the large in my garage, plus several outside.

2.5 years ago I was stung by a small one...in my bed..while I slept. Yes, it woke me up. No, I did not know at the time what had hurt me.

Within 24 hours I had a fever of 103, an abscess, and a large area of cellulitis (on my stomach).

A CT scan, 3 strong antibiotics, an incision and drainage, and 3 weeks later, I was well.

They are nasty SOB's...I've had a few in the house since, but my cat dispenses with them quickly and efficiently, unless I get them first.