secondary heat source

Status
Not open for further replies.

codyv34

5 Year Member
after switching to the powersun 100 mvb, the temps on hot side arent where they should be. i have the bulb so it will be 12 in from my tort, which to my understanding is the closest it should get.

anyways, i know at least during the winter months, i will need a secondary heat source, i see there are Che, heating pads, heating cables, or i could even add a second basking bulb, im asking your advice on which of these you feel is best

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What are your overall temps now? Cold, middle, hot basking spot.....:D

Yes, you can add a secondary basking light or CHE....if your lighting is good but you are only lacking heat then a CHE will likely do...and you don't have to get a mega watt CHE since it is going to be a secondary heat boost, you know? :D

But wait round for others to offer their input as well...the more the merrier.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You have Igore, the Russian tortoise, right? Hope I got this right!
If so, start with a second basking or regular incandescent house bulb (75 or 100w, you will have to see how they look), if you think you also need more light, to make it brighter. Add it about 1/2way down the enclosure if your Powersun is on one end. That will also add some warmth during the day, but your 'cool' side at 70 should still be achievable.
Igore is a sub adult/adult, right? In that case, they could be on 12 to 14 hours per day, and you won't need night heat if your house (or at least the area he is in) stays >60.

Note: in a year or so, when you replace the Powersun, you can consider a 160w UVB. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
codyv34 said:
after switching to the powersun 100 mvb, the temps on hot side arent where they should be. i have the bulb so it will be 12 in from my tort, which to my understanding is the closest it should get.

anyways, i know at least during the winter months, i will need a secondary heat source, i see there are Che, heating pads, heating cables, or i could even add a second basking bulb, im asking your advice on which of these you feel is best

What are the current temperatures within the enclosure during the daytime, night and basking? What other lighting, if any are you using?

codyv34

5 Year Member
I do have igore the russian tortoise and yes he his sub adult. im not worried about night time temps because they never get below 68. as for current temps basking= 95-100 warm side= 80-85 and cool side 70-75 and the mvb is my only light source

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Actually, those temps sound pretty good! I am not sure you need a second heat source? I would only add a light if you feel you need to brighten things up.

codyv34

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Actually, those temps sound pretty good! I am not sure you need a second heat source? I would only add a light if you feel you need to brighten things up.

yes i do agree, idk why but today everything was where i want it, now im very confused with the whole situation. lol ill just continue to monitor the situation.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, best to sit back and think about it, since it sounds pretty good.
Sometime we over think things, lol.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Some other thoughts for 'secondary heating'-

- Consider heating the room, or making a 'room in a room' out of plastic tarp, and heating that with a small space heater. The benefits of space heaters is that many of them operate pretty efficiently, most have built-in thermostats and safety features. Their biggest downside is that the heat is very dry.

- Covering or partially covering the habitat to hold heat and humidity. This can be as simple as a plastic sheeting 'tent' over the table and lighting apparatus.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Thanks Madkins, this is just what I needed. Got very cold here in HK and the temp is not rising with the oil radiator on full heat + 2 x CHE, brought a warm humidifier and will build a little room in room enclosure.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
codyv34 said:
I do have igore the russian tortoise and yes he his sub adult. im not worried about night time temps because they never get below 68. as for current temps basking= 95-100 warm side= 80-85 and cool side 70-75 and the mvb is my only light source

Those temperatures are pretty good. Night time temperatures could even be cooler but 68 is okay, just shouldn't be warmer than that. An MVB light is fine as an only light source if it illuminates the entire enclosure well for 14-16 hours a day. Most don't. Russian tortoises rely very much on temperature, light duration and light intensity for normal activity.

codyv34

5 Year Member
well i had moved the location of his enclosure, since it was by a window, and when we have cold weather i know it was making it harder to maintain the temps in his enclosure, so now with the move it ended up taking care of the problem. and at night i will open my room window for a little bit as i like it colder in my room also. but i wanna be care because falling asleep with your window open when its 15 degrees outside can be a bad thing :p.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Falling asleep with your window open when its 15 degrees outside makes you not want to get out from underneath the covers in the morning! We don't leave our windows open this time of year, but it is often 15 degrees and colder out here so I absolutely know what it can feel like!

codyv34

5 Year Member
my main concern with the heat source originally was, do to his activity levels and eating. in another thread, someone recommended that the hot side be warmer then it was. I have been letting him roam around my room sometimes now and he is pretty active then, he will just walks this same path over and over again, i don't know if he is just board with his 54 gallon Rubbermaid setup or what. In the spring i plan on building him a larger enclosure so we shall see.

we are having a pretty mild winter here, very little snow and we had one week where the temps were less then 10 degrees. other wise its been in the 30's, still not window weather though!

Status
Not open for further replies.