Securing lamp stands..

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
I had a scary experience the other night....my sulcata went on a rampage and knocked over both the uvb and heat lights in her basking area. I was sure everything was totally secure, but I hadn’t taken a stubborn tortoise bent on destruction into account.

I bought a generic brand of gorilla tape to cover the cables and secure the fixtures and it melted off in less then 24 hours. What kind of adhesive will work? I’m torn between gaffers tape and industrial strength Velcro.....

Here is a picture of her winter basking area that I need to secure (and a glamor shot thrown in for good measure). There is an additional light now.

996207DA-2A70-4BE9-B270-AEE2FBCECAE6.jpeg01FF8320-3461-49C0-A58E-F18FA233BDAB.jpeg

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
They make a little U-shaped metal thing (lol, I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called) with threaded ends and screwing nuts into the threads will tighten the “U-clamp). I’d get one of those and drill some holes through the back of the enclosure so you know it won’t fall again. I’m gonna go take a browse through homedepot..com real quick to see if I can find what I’m talking about

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
They make a little U-shaped metal thing (lol, I’m sorry I don’t know what it’s called) with threaded ends and screwing nuts into the threads will tighten the “U-clamp). I’d get one of those and drill some holes through the back of the enclosure so you know it won’t fall again. I’m gonna go take a browse through homedepot..com real quick to see if I can find what I’m talking about
Kinda of like this...IMG_0300.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mechanics wire.
Sections of a metal clothes hanger.
Heavy duty zip ties...
As you found out, it's wise to use at least two forms of attachment for when (not if) one fails.
The least reliable are the "clamp on" types.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I just bought hanging planter hooks to suspend heat lamps. They mount to the wall and swivel to the side when I need to access the terrarium.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
A7C3C296-7601-47FF-AD9A-2C6EF0C5A3C6.jpeg I almost went with that! This is what I ended up doing. Not pretty, but functional. Them lights aren’t moving! (My humidity sucked that day!)