Sergeant frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yucaipa CA
Hey every buddy. I need some help I.D'ing a frog, His name is in the title after a cartoon character named Sergeant frog. My little guy is a type of water frog, duh, but I don't know what kind, He's mostly green with black spots, light brown or green sides and a completely white underbelly. He has tiny fore-arms with long back legs that can bee seen clearly and webbed feet, the webbing can also be seen. I'd post a picture but he's camera shy, he likes t hide under a little bridge I put in there for him to play on. But he has lots of room to swim, a nice area to dry(Aquarium rocks made into land) A stick encase he ever feels like climbing and the little bridge, When I can get him out of hiding long enough, I'll try and take a picture. But I might already have one.*thinks* Anyways. He first can inside when he was just losing his tail from being a tadpole in are pond cause are large birds, a.k.a are chickens, liked to try and eat him, so I brought him inside to keep him safe. He's been inside ever seen which I believe has been one or two months, and he's feed crickets every day. He may be fat, but he's fast, He'll lung at crickets to eat them instead of using his tongue like most frogs. I know he's not a bullfrog because he doesn't match the coloring or any of the descriptions. Heres a pic of him, and his new habitat.

Attachments

• IMG-20120811-00350.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00350.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-20120811-00348.jpg
    IMG-20120811-00348.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 32

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't ID, I just wanted to say kudos on the name.

Deac77

5 Year Member
He's either a green frog or bull frog go to frogforum.net it's a great site I'm a member there same name either way the age is kinda small and be careful of the gravel frogs have a bad habit of ingesting gravel and it's very bad for them if it is a bullfrog (the pics and age make it hard to tell) be ready they need about 100g tanks and are very skittish

Deac77

5 Year Member
Bull Frogs make great pets they just need such large requirements they are really not that practical

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I agree with Daniel. It is a bullfrog. No dorsalateral ridges on body whereas a green frog would have them.

poison

5 Year Member
if you do keep him you need a bigger cage,much more things to hide behind and i would make a divider in the middle of the cage for water and land. and dump the gravel as stated earlier they will be ingested while eating.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Here is my 20gal for my AFRICAN bullfrog keep in mind this guy is only 3 mints old and will outgrow this tank before Christmas but it will give you a idea

Here is the pic

Attachments

• image-3934955030.png
    image-3934955030.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image-4220724671.png
    image-4220724671.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image-2440514117.png
    image-2440514117.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Rana catesbeiana. He'll color up as he grows. Try to feed more than just crickets and make sure you calcium dust them. These guys need to eat a lot. Crayfish are one of their favorites. Mine ate lots of full sized Madagasgar hissing roaches. They make a mess of their enclosure when they get bigger and you really need to keep the water changed and clean. And yes, they usually are pretty flighty.

Deac77

5 Year Member
also feed Night Crawlers they are one of the absolute BEST feeders for frogs and they got crazy for them All my frogs love them and they are a complete food source just calcium dust about twice a week for frogs (most reptile calcium is to concentrated for frogs)

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Thanks for all the suggestions, I took him to my friend who breeds frogs, he's a rana thingy like tom said, he said that he's to dark of a color and the webs aren't right to be a bullfrog, plus bullfrogs eat with their tongues, he lungs at them. And thanks, he's only one, two inches big thought, and he's about four fives months old if you could the months he was a tadpole too.

poison

5 Year Member
Ashleigh B said:
Thanks for all the suggestions, I took him to my friend who breeds frogs, he's a rana thingy like tom said, he said that he's to dark of a color and the webs aren't right to be a bullfrog, plus bullfrogs eat with their tongues, he lungs at them. And thanks, he's only one, two inches big thought, and he's about four fives months old if you could the months he was a tadpole too.

it is a bull frog. and they dont always eat with there tongue sometimes they
stick there tongue out and lung at the food at the same time

SamB

5 Year Member
Yucaipa, CA
Guess I now have the entire family on these forums lol

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Well, we looked at the species tom said, I guess you guys are right, he's to young right now, and I'm replacing his aquarium gravel with gravel from my front yard that's from an inch to half an inch big, or maybe two large rocks and macking him a jungle gym basically. So I'll post an update! Keep an eye out!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Try to use smooth objects in the enclosure. They often leap out of the way in a panic and frequently injure their snouts on any jagged edges or rough spots.

Ashleigh B

5 Year Member
Yucaipa CA
Alright, so I'll probably use a small yet large rock, large enough for land, but small enough in hieght so he won't injure his snout, or I'll make my dad buy some river pebbles due to them being extremely smooth, we have them for are pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.