Setting up new closed chamber.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I can't wait to put them in it! :D

Elohi(Earth)

Tort-Rex

Now I'm thinking about getting this... If you kept it outside, would I be able to keep my tortoise in it without a light? Would they still get the UV from the sun?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I've got some substrate in it. I have 4 more bricks that I may add tomorrow I added about a 1/4 bag of topsoil then noticed it's got cow manure in the topsoil. Dammit. I'm glad I didn't add anymore than that but it still irritated me that I didn't catch it before I mixed it in. It doesn't smell like manure so I assume that means it's composted or very broken down and no longer full of funky bacteria? It just smells like dirt. Not that a tort would pass up a pile of cow poop if they were to happen upon some LOL.
Thoughts?

Elohi(Earth)
Most cow manure is actually "cooked" to sanatize. Have you tried the moss "dirt" at Lowes? They have two kinds. The one in the huge bag is very dry and hrd to get right but the $7 bag (2 yards I think) is actually quite nice and similar to coco coir if you do not let it dry out.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Now I'm thinking about getting this... If you kept it outside, would I be able to keep my tortoise in it without a light? Would they still get the UV from the sun?
The tent will most likely block all UVB, however, the top is removable and you could take it off for part of the day. You would also not need any light for heat. I would think in the summer this set-up would get too hot during the day. A wire top would be ideal and fairly easy to make.

Tort-Rex

The tent will most likely block all UVB, however, the top is removable and you could take it off for part of the day. You would also not need any light for heat. I would think in the summer this set-up would get too hot during the day. A wire top would be ideal and fairly easy to make.
Oh, ok! Thank you so much!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
It's building humidity and heat is good. Torts are sowing their personalities. Beans is owning the place. Enjoying the slow exploration. Freckles explored and is now fast asleep in the corner that the hide and the wall make, and Watson is completely hidden in a piece of moss from the hut/hide. LOL.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404417202.520872.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404417225.987582.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404417282.737454.jpg

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Whoops sorry Stephen, not sure why it quoted you in my post LOL!

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Beans is really enjoying his new space. Freckles did until she passed out. Watson sat in a corner and watched her buddies explore. Then he went and snuggled in some moss and fell asleep. He is not much of an adventurer like the other two are LOL.

Elohi(Earth)

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Forgive me if this is the dumbest question I've ever asked but...
Do leopards bask much? Mine never seem to?

Elohi(Earth)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I think they bask to stay warm so maybe your temps are just at a constant comfortable temperature?

MichaelS

5 Year Member
Florida Suncoast
Another great looking enclosure and very creative. You could be a professional tort interior decorator;)

Nice idea on the heavy shower curtain as liner. I personally use clear plastic painter drop cloth 2 mil 9 x 12 foot for $5.00 at Lowe's. It works for non diggers just fine also.

I use the Big Apple heat rope 80 watt 27 feet. It's waterproof sells for $27. http://www.bigappleherp.com/Big-Apple-Flexible-Heat-Ropes. I plug it into my thermostat along with my CHE for night heat and it gets my chamber up to 95% + humidity at night under the CHE... good for stubborn babies that won't sleep in their humid hides like the are supposed too.:)

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Forgive me if this is the dumbest question I've ever asked but...
Do leopards bask much? Mine never seem to?

Elohi(Earth)
mine don't, but then, they are hatch mates of yours so maybe not a good gauge.