Severe Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Vets are really hit and miss, I've talked to some who were obviously good. But they refused to admit that they new nothing of tortoise care. I've had vets say that Walter is from the tropics and needs to be in a jungle setting with heating like a red foot, or my personal favorite, underbites on small tortoises are normal because their created by selectively breeding sulcatas together, just like small dogs from wolves.

So far he seems normal today, I put him in his soaking dish and have been studying, after awhile he clambered out and went over to eat his food. He isn't doing his manic spinning, just eating. I am out of his sight studying without any tortoise level appendages, but that he's actually eating and not just spinning seems like an improvement.

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastbourne
Yes, finding a perfect vet is a must but such a nightmare! My mom travels 45mins, so she's very lucky and iv used her when I go and visit my parents, the vet was amazing! Iv found one where I live, so far so good. Touch wood! But there an hour + away. After my chinchilla died, due to my vet not owning up to that they don't have a clue what there doing, letting me spend £500 I haven't got, am very careful, as am deeply hurt losing my baby :,( as well as angry! So good luck for your hunt of a vet. Best think to do if you think you found one, take him along to be wormed and ask some obvious questions :)

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Snowywood said:
Yes, finding a perfect vet is a must but such a nightmare! My mom travels 45mins, so she's very lucky and iv used her when I go and visit my parents, the vet was amazing! Iv found one where I live, so far so good. Touch wood! But there an hour + away. After my chinchilla died, due to my vet not owning up to that they don't have a clue what there doing, letting me spend £500 I haven't got, am very careful, as am deeply hurt losing my baby :,( as well as angry! So good luck for your hunt of a vet. Best think to do if you think you found one, take him along to be wormed and ask some obvious questions :)

I usually just leave him home, traveling that far to be poked and prodded at by someone who knows nothing isn't fair. The few times I've brought him it has been to stressful on him and me, one vet tried shaking him for some ungodly reason. Its easier to just ask the questions without that. Poop samples don't need accompaniment by a tortoise.

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
That doesn't sound good :-( why shake them!? No need!!! where do you live? Uk or USA? After the problems iv had with one of my tortoises alone, am keeping up todate with the worming check ups and poop samples. They're use to travelling far which helps. Sounds am so lucky to find a fanatic vet. I felt everyone had them on there doorstep :-( you'd think there be more out there.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LOL...I feel I need to give an individual definition to my use of the word "thump"....I was referring to you using your hand to give him a replicated ram back....I do not mean to "flick", "hit", "smack", "poke" him....but rather he is ramming you so to replicate that by ramming him (thumping) back...:D I would never want anyone to cause physical harm to a tort...
Clearly there is a bit of a size difference, you know? LOL...
:D

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
ascott said:
LOL...I feel I need to give an individual definition to my use of the word "thump"....I was referring to you using your hand to give him a replicated ram back....I do not mean to "flick", "hit", "smack", "poke" him....but rather he is ramming you so to replicate that by ramming him (thumping) back...:D I would never want anyone to cause physical harm to a tort...
Clearly there is a bit of a size difference, you know? LOL...
:D

So no violently punching him?! Darn :p

I decided that my hands had taken enough abuse, so I stayed hands off, he would attack my feet instead and I would shove him backwards, or if he bit really hard flip him over. This went on for a hour and a half while I studied, for another half an hour he had his little rage fits and would alternate between spinning and attacking my feet. Just before he went away so I could go back to classes he got really really nasty again.

It might be slower going then planned, it is satisfying to flip him over when he's being a turd.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yeah, finding good vets that do more than dogs and cats is a nightmare.

My Congo African Grey parrot got sick and I took him to a local vet. He didn't know if the meds had to be given orally or intravenously, and said he made some calls to find out.

So, I gave my baby the meds orally. And they ate his stomach away. When he died he threw up this green goo from where his stomach was worn away. The vet made me kill him by telling me to give the meds wrong. I forced that poison down his throat. I buried him in the woods with his favorite toys. It's something very hard to live with. Knowing I killed him because the vet gave me the wrong advice. I've had pets all my life, and the bond between human and bird is by far the strongest. You pretty much become mates. When he was on the vet table he ran towards me to snuggle for protection. And I killed him. I was devastated.

By all means, find a good vet even if it's 3 hours away.

Snowywood

5 Year Member
Eastbourne
Tortus said:

My Congo African Grey parrot got sick and I took him to a local vet. He didn't know if the meds had to be given orally or intravenously, and said he made some calls to find out.

So, I gave my baby the meds orally. And they ate his stomach away. When he died he threw up this green goo from where his stomach was worn away. The vet made me kill him by telling me to give the meds wrong. I forced that poison down his throat. I buried him in the woods with his favorite toys. It's something very hard to live with. Knowing I killed him because the vet gave me the wrong advice. I've had pets all my life, and the bond between human and bird is by far the strongest. You pretty much become mates. When he was on the vet table he ran towards me to snuggle for protection. And I killed him. I was devastated.

I feel your pain :-( that has recently happen to me with my chinchilla :,( the day I had to put him to sleep, was the day I found out my vet should not of taken him on and should of sent me to an exotic vet! Am still very up set and angry it has to be said. I miss my little man something rotten :,( you have my sympathies :-(

ashned7

5 Year Member
Lake district, England
Our six yr old hermanns has just started doing this with my gf. He chases her feet and bites at the slippers, although not very hard or hard enough to draw blood anyway....but he really runs to chase her whenever she walks away or moves him. We gave him a cushion shaped like a chicken lol and he seems to be a little bit calmer because he bites and "mounts" the chicken instead...did anything you did make it any better?

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
ashned7 said:
Our six yr old hermanns has just started doing this with my gf. He chases her feet and bites at the slippers, although not very hard or hard enough to draw blood anyway....but he really runs to chase her whenever she walks away or moves him. We gave him a cushion shaped like a chicken lol and he seems to be a little bit calmer because he bites and "mounts" the chicken instead...did anything you did make it any better?

Haha, yeah it's all resolved.

TuRtLE1924

5 Year Member
Texas
Tortus said:

Tortus, I am so sorry to hear what happened to your parrot. Your story literally brings tears to my eyes. I had a similar situation happen to me. You must stop feeling that you killed him. You were only doing what the vet told you to do. You were doing exactly what you thought you needed to Help your loved one. It is NOT your fault and I am sure that your birdie knew you were only trying to help him.

Jessamy

5 Year Member
Can you change where/when/how you feed him- new bowl, area, time- or just toss him food to look for in a find it game,then clean/etc.? Maybe then a different association? Maybe he thinks you are an intruder/competitor?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
just been reading this thread, I have a male 5 yearold Herman s who's pretty friendly at moment except for the odd ram, I hope and pray he does not turn into a raging hormonal tort as he becomes sexy mature, I am hybernating him for the first time this winter an I read this can make them want to breed, so I think i am going to buy s thick pair of gloves lol. I does sound like your tort got frustrated he wants a girlfriend and his hormones got the better of him, have u tried offering him some of his favourite food by hand so he sees you as a god that gives him tasty treats instead of pinks to take his rage out on x

Holycow

10 Year Member!
Homestead ,FL
I have a sulcata who get's moody sometimes and will ram your foot, or shin, or whatever is in front of him. He weighs over 30lbs and if he rams you while you're kneeling it will knock you over. If he starts doing this I carefully roll him on to his back for 30 seconds to 1 min- then put him back on his feet. Once he is up right again he usually walks quickly away from me and forgets the whole ramming policy for a while. As someone said before, it's a show of dominance and you need to communicate that you are the boss, otherwise they will bully you just like they'd bully a smaller tort. At least those are my thoughts.
--Jeff

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
Umm, it's already been stated that it's been resolved. This thread is pretty much kaputt.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Now, this is just a thought, but you said that you had a skin condition, yes? Could it be possible that your tort senses that you have a weakness, and acts like most animals in the wild when they hunt? Could it be that you are using some cream for the skin condition that's driving him crazy? Just a thought.

BowandWalter

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Now, this is just a thought, but you said that you had a skin condition, yes? Could it be possible that your tort senses that you have a weakness, and acts like most animals in the wild when they hunt? Could it be that you are using some cream for the skin condition that's driving him crazy? Just a thought.

I've used the same cream for years, plus he's stopping being aggressive, it's all been explained in a different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.