Shell Flaking

Neo127

Location (City and/or State)
PA
I’ve had my Russian tortoise for 8 years now and just noticed about 3 days ago that this part of his shell flaked. He doesn’t have the best diet because I can’t get him to eat anything other than lettuce and Timothy hay. I’ve tried everything! I do dust the lettuce with calcium. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with him, any help is appreciated!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hydration is very important. Try high sided container with shallow warm to touch water and soak your tortoise for 30 mins to encourage drinking. I would apply coconut oil to the shell to moisturise. Re the flake check heat lamp distance or is the something low it is brushing against? Calcium is imperative try adding cuttle fish bone inside the enclosue and you will find it gets trampled on and eaten. Diet also important try adding I finally chopped leaves to what you know they like.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hydration is very important. Try high sided container with shallow warm to touch water and soak your tortoise for 30 mins to encourage drinking. I would apply coconut oil to the shell to moisturise. Re the flake check heat lamp distance or is the something low it is brushing against? Calcium is imperative try adding cuttle fish bone inside the enclosue and you will find it gets trampled on and eaten. Diet also important try adding I finally chopped leaves to what you know they
I’ve had my Russian tortoise for 8 years now and just noticed about 3 days ago that this part of his shell flaked. He doesn’t have the best diet because I can’t get him to eat anything other than lettuce and Timothy hay. I’ve tried everything! I do dust the lettuce with calcium. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with him, any help is appreciated!
Also try Mazuri Tortoise Diet Food made by Purina. It's like crack cocaine to torts. Just take some nuggets, soak in water for about 10 minutes, mash & stir. I add a pinch of calcium or pinch of vitamins/minerals & feed it to Houdini about twice a week. If your tort likes it, you're then sure he's getting some good stuff a couple of weeks. You can then add in new greens, chopped very fine as well.

You should be able to buy it at a local pet store but it's probably cheaper online at Petco, Amazon, Chewey, etc. There's a smaller bag around a lb. so you don't have to buy 25 lbs all at once. They have a newer version thar has 3 initials at the end of the name, something like LSR.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That was my thought.
But a 75 watt at 10"?
10" from the substrate may be less distance from the tortoise shell, right? If the tortoise is under the light... just thinking.