Shell Fungus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Here's a question for those of you familiar with shell rot and fungus, conditions I don't have any personal experience with:

Since coconut oil has anti-fungal properties, would it be helpful to keep a layer of it on RF tortoise plastrons.

I think this would be worthy of an experiment. (I don't have any Rs and my YFs don't get shell rot or fungus)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd be wary of using any type of oil on a tortoises shell or skin because minute particles cling to oily surfaces. Applying oil may actually be attracting more dirt and debris. Foreign matter can harbor and encourage bacteria and fungus growth. One way that tortoises (and especially turtles) inadvertently combat bacteria and fungus is to bask under a heat source to dry themselves off completely. Being coated with oil would most likely inhibit this process.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It may or may not.
Although fungal issues can be relatively common with Redfoot, treatment is simple, cheap and effective.
It's not too difficult to avoid it altogether, either.
I do monthly checks on my herd and I haven't encountered a single case in a couple if years

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd be wary of using any type of oil on a tortoises shell or skin because minute particles cling to oily surfaces. Applying oil may actually be attracting more dirt and debris. Foreign matter can harbor and encourage bacteria and fungus growth. One way that tortoises (and especially turtles) inadvertently combat bacteria and fungus is to bask under a heat source to dry themselves off completely. Being coated with oil would most likely inhibit this process.
Drying completely is definitely the key.
Good call there.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Here's a question for those of you familiar with shell rot and fungus, conditions I don't have any personal experience with:

Since coconut oil has anti-fungal properties, would it be helpful to keep a layer of it on RF tortoise plastrons.

I think this would be worthy of an experiment. (I don't have any Rs and my YFs don't get shell rot or fungus)
I've been using it on my Reds carapaces a few years with great results but never thought about applying it to the Plastron.