Shell health?

Pjfarm

Location (City and/or State)
Nh usa
Hi, We have had Rocky for just over a year. I would guess he is about 1.5 yrs old. Please tell me if you think his shell looks ok or not. There seems to be wide spaces that did not exist a few months ago. Thanks

Resized_20190104_070300_2585.jpeg Resized_20190104_070323_4579.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You've had Rocky for just over a year, but I'm betting the pet store you bought him from bought him from a wholesaler who deals in wild caught tortoises and he was probably about 8 or 10 years old when captured. Rocky is almost full grown. Just a tiny bit of more growing to do. And as Will said. the wide space is new growth because of your good care and the poor care he had before you.

Pjfarm

Nh usa
Will and Yvonne, Thank you so much. He seems so small, about as big as a average sized woman's hand so I thought he was young when we got him. I also thought Russians grew to be much bigger so I have been afraid we were over feeding him or something and messing with his shell growth.
Patty

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Full grown male Russian tortoises are about 5" in a straight line front to back. There will occasionally be bigger or smaller, but that's an average. Females sometimes get to be about 7 or 8" front to back in a straight line, but most or average is about 6"