Uneven tortoise shell growth

Zach_1872

Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Hi I’m slightly worried about my 5 year olds Russian tortoises shell growth. I noticed recently on one side it appears to have a larger gap between scutes.
Is this normal ?
if not what should I do.

thanks

Attachments

• 268E0733-85F4-4409-9377-3B73890C1782.jpeg
    268E0733-85F4-4409-9377-3B73890C1782.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Looks pretty good to me, the shells of russian torts can get pretty whacky looking. The assymetry is not that unusual either. This isnt something to worry about but It could indicate poor husbandry in some ways though, so go ahead and show us the enclosure and tell us about your lighting, and your heat levels under the lamp, ambient, and at night.

Zach_1872

Edinburgh
Looks pretty good to me, the shells of russian torts can get pretty whacky looking. The assymetry is not that unusual either. This isnt something to worry about but It could indicate poor husbandry in some ways though, so go ahead and show us the enclosure and tell us about your lighting, and your heat levels under the lamp, ambient, and at night.
Hi I haven't turned on the heat bulb for today yet, but it the temp when its on is between 30 and 40c in his basking area, at night the table is usually between 18 and 28c, the ambient temp is room temp so about the same or warmer. He also has a uv light that is on for a couple hours each day but during nicer days he goes outside for a couple of hours although he hasn't been able to for a while due to bad cold weather.

unnamed (1).jpg