Shell Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundae

5 Year Member
Hello,

A little over 2 weeks ago I picked up a new baby redfoot. Currently I own a 5 year old redfoot who I've had for 4 years now and of which is healthy, other then a stacking problem which occured before I purchased him and is currently being worked on.

I've left the little one generally alone for the first week. Fresh food and water daily. Trying to let him settle in. I'm now soaking him every day but he doesn't really seem interested in his food. I feed store bought spring mix and am open to new suggestions. Every other day i mix in veggies like zuchinni, squash, shreded carrots, small diced bell pepper, and once or twice a week fruits like mago, kiwi, or strawberry.

A week after purchase, I noticed a black line down the middle of the bottom of his shell(head to tail). I really don't recall if it was there from purchase or not but it hasn't been getting worse or better. So I'm not entierly sure.

But as of today I noticed that the entire middle of his shell(side to side) has started to cave in? He is only a few months old so I assume it's too early to be his "manly" shell change, but since I got my other one when he was older I'm not quite sure. Any suggestions on what it could be?

He's walking fine when Im taking him out and doesn't seem to have any issues moving.

Ahead of time, thank you for all the advice, It is greatly greatly apprecited :)

DaisyDuke

10 Year Member!
It would be great and very helpful if you could post a picture.
I wish I had some insight :( I hope he's okay.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give us a run down of your enclosure. Temps, humidity, type of lights or heat using, substrate, additives, soakings, anything you can think of and a picture of the problem area on his shell you are concerned with.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
DaisyDuke said:
It would be great and very helpful if you could post a picture.
I wish I had some insight :( I hope he's okay.

Yeup :D

Sundae

5 Year Member
image-3068539871.png

Thats the marking on the bottom. It could be just a marking, but im just not sure?

He's in coconut fibers, which is what i've always used with no problems in the past. Light is a reptiglow 10 watt. I live in south florida so humidty right now is high inside or out. Probably in the 80's. Not really sure of the exact temp or humidity though. I soak him for about 10 minutes a day and make sure he gets moist everywhere.

Im at school during the day so im not really sure if he comes out to sit in the light or anything? But at this age im not really sure how much he need?

I would love to sit outside with him but our yard gets chemical treatment so im nervous he may ingest something.

Sundae

5 Year Member
Let's see if this picture works. Finally got to a computer

144dv4.png

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I don't see any picture attached. I like to use tinypic.com for pictures here on the forum. It's free, no account setup is necessary and it provides a link to copy and paste into the forum for the image after you upload it.

Once we see the pics, we can provide you some insight.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Pic did attach but I am using the app for iPhone.

I don't see anything wrong. What do you see?

Sundae

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Pic did attach but I am using the app for iPhone.

I don't see anything wrong. What do you see?

Really not sure if that black area is good or bad? Idk just something about it just seemed off at first. I may be making a big outta nothing but i just want to double check :)

But as of today i noticed that the middle region has started to curve in. And i know in males that's normal. But i'm not sure how early it starts? From what i hear it takes at least 2 years before they start to show. I just want other views of people who have raised the little ones :)

cristal redfoot

5 Year Member
Mine had the same thing but more caved in then yours but its evening out. I suppose it just has to do with humidity. You aren't doing anything wrong so just keep up the good work. Don't worry about it. But wait for more opinions :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Sundae said:
View attachment 29911

He's in coconut fibers, which is what i've always used with no problems in the past. Light is a reptiglow 10 watt. I live in south florida so humidty right now is high inside or out. Probably in the 80's. Not really sure of the exact temp or humidity though. I soak him for about 10 minutes a day and make sure he gets moist everywhere.

I will say it again, hatchlings cannot be outside in South Florida. The temperature variations between night and day are too great for them. For that same reason, they also require a constant ambient temperature of around 85F with warmer and cooler spots so they can self regulate. I am glad you do not have him outside since they treat the yard, but with the a/c running, the temps are too cold for the hatchling. Also if your tort is inside, the a/c is sucking out the humidity out of the air. If it is in the garage, again the temps will fluxuate too much between night and day. Hatchlings cannot handle the temperature changes like the adults, subs or juveniles. It adversely affects their overall health. You will need to determine if your temps are changing throughout the day and night.

The fact that the tummy is soft and indented is not a good sign. With hatchlings, sometimes there is a certain amount of give in their plastron. It should harden up but not be concave. Has your hatchling eaten anything? The temps are not regulated and can lead to a fast decline.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I keep my hatchlings nice and warm like allegra has mentioned. I use ceramic heat emitters and a thermostat to achieve temperatures no less than 80F constantly within the cool side of their enclosure (24/7). The warm, bright side is always in the mid 80's but doesnt exceed 86F. The whole thing is topped with plexiglass to keep the heat and humidity in.

Here's my setup:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45960.html#axzz28QzeA7gG
There are other excellent examples at the tortoiselibrary.com (via TerryO, an awesome member here) and in Studentofthereptiles (forum member) signature.

It's imperative that you know the temps and humidity within your enclosure, otherwise that hatchling is not going to make it. Pick up some thermometers and hygrometers and start taking some readings and adjusting your enclosure to suit the needs of that baby redfoot.

Sundae

5 Year Member
Thank you so much. I'll go out and pick up a thermometer and a hydrometer this weekend. What would be an appropriate range for the humidity??

I also typed the bulb wrong. It's a 26 watt 10uvb light. If it doesnt reach the 85 degree range what do you suggest?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I should add, directly under the heat emitters it's 90-95 when the thermostat kicks them on. Air temperatures are always at least 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.