SHELL ROT HELP !

NoobTurtzChi

mes3Bzu
mes3Bzu

Im pretty sure its shell rot, ;[[ my family has had this turtle for a couple years and within these last few months ive been taking care of him more and more cause he is a LIVING BEING after all. My family has neglected to change his habitat or his diet and ultimately his bad health has been from neglect by them and also cause during the summer months we leave him outside and he has run away for long periods of time like 3 months and then we found him again. I will be contacting a vet but it would be nice if i didnt have to cause of money reasons. Nonetheless can you guys help me out ? what would you reccomend for treatment ? or is he in such bad shape he needs to see a herp vet immediaetely

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure Tom can help with turtles, he does tortoises. Give us a run down of the enclosure. Type of heat, light, diet, and temps of the basking spot and does he have a land area in the aquarium/pond?
He may just be shedding. The pic is not colored and quality not the best, so hard to see what it actually looks like. I see the peeling, but can't tell if it's worse then just peeling.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
~ A picture would really help!

~ Oops, saw your second post with a picture!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does the turtle have a place that it can climb up onto to completely dry out 100% with a basking light overhead?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to tell from the picture, but I'm leaning towards this being an asian turtle in the cuora family. This means they live in very wet areas of water/land. Does your turtle have water to swim in?

Also, the edges of the shell look like its been chewed on by a mammal, and not shell rot.

Anyway...glad you've found our Forum, and welcome! We're here to help. Can you post pictures of the turtles's habitat, and more pictures of the turtle - top, bottom, side views. Thanks.