shell rot help

Location (City and/or State)
south jersey
i noticed these white stuff on the shell of my cherry head it almost looked like calcium or something when i scrubbed it with a toothbrush it came off, do you think this is shell rot there is no wounds or open cuts it was just on the top and sides of the shell,

zovick

10 Year Member!
i noticed these white stuff on the shell of my cherry head it almost looked like calcium or something when i scrubbed it with a toothbrush it came off, do you think this is shell rot there is no wounds or open cuts it was just on the top and sides of the shell,

It would be easier to tell with photos, of course, but it is probably not shell rot based on the locations you noted above for the white areas. Most likely what you saw were calcium deposits from water evaporating off the shell after the tortoise is soaked or misted with water.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Agree with Zovick, photos would be great. In general, shell rot—or fungal infestation, is somewhat cheesy and can be scraped off with your fingernail.
Calcium deposits are also common for the reasons he mentioned and can be noticed on the top of the tortoises’ head as well as their carapace. If you wet the shell and head with water the whitish look should suddenly become less visible when you’re dealing with deposits from water.

south jersey
Agree with Zovick, photos would be great. In general, shell rot—or fungal infestation, is somewhat cheesy and can be scraped off with your fingernail.
Calcium deposits are also common for the reasons he mentioned and can be noticed on the top of the tortoises’ head as well as their carapace. If you wet the shell and head with water the whitish look should suddenly become less visible when you’re dealing with deposits from water.

IMG_1544.JPG IMG_1545.JPG IMG_1546.JPG IMG_1548.JPG IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1550.JPG

south jersey
It would be easier to tell with photos, of course, but it is probably not shell rot based on the locations you noted above for the white areas. Most likely what you saw were calcium deposits from water evaporating off the shell after the tortoise is soaked or misted with water.
i posted some pics

zovick

10 Year Member!
i posted some pics

It is not shell rot. It is calcium deposits from water which are left as the tortoise dries off after being in water or being misted with water. You can remove the deposits with white vinegar. Take a cotton swab dipped in some lukewarm white vinegar and wipe the white deposit areas away. You could also do this with a toothbrush dipped in the vinegar. The vinegar will dissolve the calcium deposits. Just be careful not to get it in the tortoise's eyes. Rinse off the tortoise with water when you are done.

Note that you will have to do this every few weeks as the deposits will gradually reappear each time the tortoise dries off after being is soaked in or rinsed with water.

south jersey
Pics before and after soaking

Attachments

• IMG_1544.JPG
    IMG_1544.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1545.JPG
    IMG_1545.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1546.JPG
    IMG_1546.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
I know what this is. The new growth is the typical black color, right? The faded areas are just the original neonatal parts of the shell, right?
In my opinion this is a tortoise that for whatever reason began to break free from its egg a bit early. Outside air then affected the exposed areas of the shell that were still soft and not quite hardened off. This resulted in those places becoming slightly shriveled and a dry, scar-like material is what was left.
The tortoise should be fine and all of the new growth should be normal. Eventually, those areas will wear down and become less and less noticeable. In addition, as the tortoise gets larger these places will be just a small portion of the shell.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
There are at least three forms of presentation I have seen in fungal shell rot (or fungal attack) on tortoises. What you will see on a WC Russian's carapace is different from what you will see on a CB redfoot's plastron or a leopard or sulcata that gets it on the plastron and marginals when living in the Southeast under particular conditions (very common out this way). I have also observed a fungus that adheres to the carapace without damaging it for some species under some conditions. There are probably multiple species or subspecies of fungus that can be involved. The cheesy stuff is the worst if not addressed. Can infiltrate deeply (get into the bone and even cause sepsis if left unchecked through extreme neglect by abhorrent so-called husbandry).

Carl, I do not think this is "membrane scorching" as we are going to refer to it going forward. The new growth on the marginals has the white discoloration as well, while membrane scorching is limited to the original scute surfaces. It is easier to see the range of the surface effect when the photos are viewed at full size and possibly if blown up some.

Gianni, please show us a clear photo of the whole plastron. Also, is there sphagnum (or similar) moss in the habitat? If you could provide a photo of the enclosure, that might add useful information.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@gianni colameco, not trying to hijack your thread, just thought this could be educational for us all
@Baoh. Is this membrane scorch, it's never spread from the areola. I have it on only 2 out of many babies. It will not scrub off.
IMG_0632.JPG

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Looks like it. Did it hatch out with it or develop it soon after hatching (days to a few weeks)? That is usually when we see the membrane scorch Carl and I are referencing. It takes a good while to wear/fade away.

Tangentially, unscrupulous people have even tried to pass those animals off as morphs in the past to try to prey on unsuspecting buyers. More common in the slider market for that, although I have seen it happen with redfoots once or twice.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
It wasn't there when it hatched, but within about a week it started to appear.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Seems to fit well enough. It varies.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
When it hatches the membrane is moist and clear. As your tort grows the membrane dries and looks white. With frequent soakings it will come off but it is very stubborn. Dried egg is like glue and is very hard to remove. Soaking and soft toothbrush. Be gentle

Last edited: