Shell rot, need some help

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Hi everyone!
It's been a while since I posted as life has gotten very busy, but Ginger has been doing great until recently! Unfortunately, recently I noticed that she had a bit of shell rot on the underside of her shell. I removed her bedding and used newspaper and replaced it daily, treating her with betadine daily. It started to get better... so I moved her back onto new (dryer) dirt because she was ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE on the paper. Now it's getting worse again. :(
Is there anything else I can treat her shell with? Do you all suggest moving her back on paper? She was just so miserable. I feel like if I don't get lazy and keep up with the betadine then maybe she will get better soon, but I'm not sure. Advice appreciated! IMG_20171014_080145.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep it dry and use some anti fungus cream not betadine. You can keep her on her regular substrate just keep it dry.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Thank you! That's good news, the dirt is expensive to replace! he only reason I like betadine is because I was using athlete's foot cream and there were no changes, but then a wildlife refuge center I volunteer at told me to try betadine. Maybe I'll try a bit of both? Thanks for your advice I'll try it out!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yep.
Betaine once.
Athletes foot cream every day or two.
I also remove the soft, rotted areas with a credit card type plastic scraper.
Also, I'd keep it on the regular substrate.
Shell fungus/rot happens with these guys. Don't stress about it.
More than likely you'll see it again.
Make a first aid kit. My kit has "dollar store" antibiotic and athletes foot cream. (Same active ingredients as the more expensive stuff.)

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yep.
Betaine once.
Athletes foot cream every day or two.
I also remove the soft, rotted areas with a credit card type plastic scraper.
Also, I'd keep it on the regular substrate.
Shell fungus/rot happens with these guys. Don't stress about it.
More than likely you'll see it again.
Make a first aid kit. My kit has "dollar store" antibiotic and athletes foot cream. (Same active ingredients as the more expensive stuff.)
So relieving, thank you so much. I needed to post this sooner before I stressed myself out! So you actually scrape the fungus off with a credit card? I tried doing it with my nail and thought maybe it was hurting her. Also, I have removed her water bowl from her tank because she keeps somehow soaking her entire cage and filling the water with dirt. I thought maybe this was contributing to the shell rot so I took it out and soak her every other day or so. Do you think that's not enough water for her? (Keep in mind she's Russian and hates water... and she's in "hibernation mode" where she sleeps all day) You guys are seriously the best, thank you so much!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I thought we were talking Redfoot. Sorry.
Your Russian should be easy because you don't need super high humidity.
Have you sunk you water bowl into the substrate? It should stop it from being toppled over.
Make sure her chosen sleeping area isn't damp.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, I'm on my miserable phone. I can't look at your photo very well.
Has it been determined that it IS shell fungus?
I see a scrape or two.
But I've also seen fungus start in an area of a scrape.
At least once a year one of my torts get some level of shell fungus.
My little pigs almost live in mud or water pools.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Also, I'm on my miserable phone. I can't look at your photo very well.
Has it been determined that it IS shell fungus?
I see a scrape or two.
But I've also seen fungus start in an area of a scrape.
At least once a year one of my torts get some level of shell fungus.
My little pigs almost live in mud or water pools.
I have tried sinking her bowl into the dirt, but then she shovels all of her dirt into the bowl and it trails into the enclosure. :( And yes, it is definitely shell rot as it has become more obvious since I took the picture. Though it is not too bad yet. Thank you again for your help! I will be sure to keep her sleeping area dry. And "your little pigs" (snicker, snicker) sound adorable!:D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I have tried sinking her bowl into the dirt, but then she shovels all of her dirt into the bowl and it trails into the enclosure. :( And yes, it is definitely shell rot as it has become more obvious since I took the picture. Though it is not too bad yet. Thank you again for your help! I will be sure to keep her sleeping area dry. And "your little pigs" (snicker, snicker) sound adorable!:D

Use stones pressed into the substrate round the water bowl. They’ll help keep claws in trim as well as help to stop the substrate being dragged in.

It seems counter-intuitive, but site the water bowl in the middle of the enclosure, away from the edges. Torts tend to patrol boundaries, so if they’re stomping round the water bowl is less likely to be on their pathway.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Use stones pressed into the substrate round the water bowl. They’ll help keep claws in trim as well as help to stop the substrate being dragged in.

It seems counter-intuitive, but site the water bowl in the middle of the enclosure, away from the edges. Torts tend to patrol boundaries, so if they’re stomping round the water bowl is less likely to be on their pathway.
That's a great idea, thank you!

steven dutch

5 Year Member
Take the Turtle out the tank every day for several hours to dry, use the spray only once, it will stay bleu but kills the fungus. Clean the tank very well, and refresh the water regularly.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Take the Turtle out the tank every day for several hours to dry, use the spray only once, it will stay bleu but kills the fungus. Clean the tank very well, and refresh the water regularly.
Ginger is a land tortoise, will this still work? Where did you get it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The fungus quickly dies with a few applications of the athletes foot cream. But scars will remain for a long time and often these scars make it look like the cream isn't working. But it will.

steven dutch

5 Year Member
Yes it also works with land tortoise, the spray is used by vets for cows, goats etc for problems with their feet. In the Netherlands it is called CtC spray