Shell rot or squiggly lines?

LeahK

Location (City and/or State)
Berkeley CA
I'm sure you've gotten this question 10,000 times already, but I want to ask, can you tell if these marks on the plastron are shell rot or just the squiggly lines people talk about? I got some athletes foot cream to put on there, but I was hoping for some input before I start trying to treat it.

Also as an aside, on the carapace, there's starting to be some white streaks near the edge of a couple of the scutes, is that just new growth? Or something else to be worried about?

Thank you for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 47
  • tempImageqDUz87.png
    tempImageqDUz87.png
    12.6 MB · Views: 48

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Leah, The carapace is simply new growth. The pigment in new keratin filling in is often lighter and can be streaked like that. That is what develops the pattern to the carapace. With some, it will darken and fill in more pigment a bit later. Completely normal.

The plastron doesn't look completely right. Not rot, but something is affecting the new keratin growth as each growth spurt pushes a new layer out. The edges of each layer looks a bit deteriorated. At first though calcium stains, but the way it looks frayed, I'm thinking it may be too acidic a substrate the tortoise is sitting on. No long-term damage here, it will grow out fine, but I would look at what you are using for substrate.

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Leah, The carapace is simply new growth. The pigment in new keratin filling in is often lighter and can be streaked like that. That is what develops the pattern to the carapace. With some, it will darken and fill in more pigment a bit later. Completely normal.

The plastron doesn't look completely right. Not rot, but something is affecting the new keratin growth as each growth spurt pushes a new layer out. The edges of each layer looks a bit deteriorated. At first though calcium stains, but the way it looks frayed, I'm thinking it may be too acidic a substrate the tortoise is sitting on. No long-term damage here, it will grow out fine, but I would look at what you are using for substrate.
Thank you so much for the feedback!

This is what I was using for the substrate right now. It does advertise being a low pH..... I have some Reptibark I was going to mix in, but now I will just replace all of it. Thank you, again!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Are you saturating the substrate could be affecting the growth/colors of his bottom shell.

LeahK

Berkeley CA
Are you saturating the substrate could be affecting the growth/colors of his bottom shell.
I was for the first week and a half. I definitely went overboard at first before letting up a bit, but that's why I was worried about shell rot. For the past week or two, the substrate should be fine now / just damp.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I was for the first week and a half. I definitely went overboard at first before letting up a bit, but that's why I was worried about shell rot. For the past week or two, the substrate should be fine now / just damp.
That’s probably the issue. Definitely don’t soak just damp. The heat lamps should dry up the damp spots to create enough humdity