Shell rot?

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi this is my 5 year old map turtle. I'm not sure if this is she'll rot or not. She is acting perfectly normal and doesn't seem I'll at all. I've been feeding her a varied diet of dried shrimp, dried fish, pellets and frozen prawns. She has good space to get out and bask which she spends alot of the day on. I cannot understand how she would have got shell rot as she is always out basking. 20180622_172402.jpeg20180622_172317.jpeg20180622_172257.jpeg20180622_172307.jpeg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don’t know enough about shell rot to help out, I’m afraid.
Hopefully a knowledgeable person will be along soon.

@Yvonne G

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is not shell rot. It looks like your turtle has not shed is quite a while and has a build up of calcium stains on the shell. retained scutes can look that way with hard water in their tank. Map turtles can be sensitive to water conditions and a proper diet is needed to facilitate a healthy shell and proper shedding. Map turtles are also some of the best swimmers of the turtle world as you can see by the very large hind feet designed for swimming. Exercise is important for health. They love open and deep water. I find they just don't do as well in a tank with limited space.

I do not feed the dried foods such as dried shrimp. Frozen shrimp is a good treat, but a good quality turtle pellet is a very good staple. I use Mazuri aquatic turtle pellet. In Europe, Mazuri is sold under the NutraZu brand. I will also use a good quality koi pellet mixed in with the turtle pellets

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
That is not shell rot. It looks like your turtle has not shed is quite a while and has a build up of calcium stains on the shell. retained scutes can look that way with hard water in their tank. Map turtles can be sensitive to water conditions and a proper diet is needed to facilitate a healthy shell and proper shedding. Map turtles are also some of the best swimmers of the turtle world as you can see by the very large hind feet designed for swimming. Exercise is important for health. They love open and deep water. I find they just don't do as well in a tank with limited space.

I do not feed the dried foods such as dried shrimp. Frozen shrimp is a good treat, but a good quality turtle pellet is a very good staple. I use Mazuri aquatic turtle pellet. In Europe, Mazuri is sold under the NutraZu brand. I will also use a good quality koi pellet mixed in with the turtle pellets
Yeah thanks, I'm currently looking at other cases of people keeping map turtles outside in the UK and by the looks of it I can put her in a pond all year round. I wouldn't have brought her if I knew how big she would get. I was a kid when I got her from my local garden centre. Now I've got her though I do want to give her the best care I can.