Shell rot

Elyzha

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond
Hello! I’mreading up on shell rot and i was just posting to see if Kenji has that? I cannot tell? What do i need to look for? Also, his shell at the bottom is looking kind of dry... I’mbathing him today and washing him do you think that will help??

1620A778-52F7-418B-A73B-A3D302155DF7.jpegD9EC01A2-BCE9-4D57-8201-98C9DE337F1C.jpeg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How has what you've read compare to what you are seeing? What did you read that indicates that you might have this problem?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise doesn’t have shell rot.

Shell rot occurs on the plastron (undershell) not on the top.

Your Russian is looking normally “battered” for a tortoise of this species and age. They don’t grow perfectly smooth and he isn’t a baby

The substrate does look very dry. It should be an earthy type like fine grade orchid bark or coco coir that you can mix with water until it is all damp to raise humidity.

Please read this thread and compare it with your setup

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise's shell has a nice luster to it, however the new growth looks very dry. That's not shell rot, but rather desiccation from being under harsh lighting. What kind of lighting/heat are you using, and may we see a picture of your tortoise's enclosure with him in it?