Shello lol Just kidding. But really hi.

Alastel

Location (City and/or State)
LAKEWOOD, WA
I am new to the tortoise world and looking to soak in all the info possible. We have decided to adopt our first shell buddy and we are now preparing and looking for our new family member.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! What kind of tort are you looking at?
There is a ton of updated information from very knowledgeable members.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
You are wise to learn as much as possible before getting your tort - there's more to keeping them than you think!
I was clueless when my tort adopted me but this forum has been a fantastic help with up to date information from very experienced keepers.
When you know which tort you are getting, look for the caresheet in the Species section that will tell you all you need to know about diet, temps, substrate lighting etc. Don't buy anything for pet stores until you have checked here whether it is safe or needed first. They tend to be clueless about care and like to make profit so we could save you a lot of money.
The Enclosures thread will give you some great ideas - size depends on species. A minimum of 4 x 8 feet is recommended for young adults of the smaller species. The bigger the species the bigger the space will be needed. Don't be tempted to get 2 unless you have enough room for 2 separate enclosures - they really don't like sharing!!
The Beginners Mistakes thread will also help you avoid any problems others have had.
So enjoy reading and getting to know your way around the forum then ask as many questions as you like, someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Alastel

LAKEWOOD, WA
Welcome! What kind of tort are you looking at?
There is a ton of updated information from very knowledgeable members.
We are going to go with the Afghan tortoise (AKA Russian) because we are in Washington and would be keeping our tortoise inside for the greater majority of the year and want to be able to give the little guy the space he needs. We also don't want to keep a humid environment and the Afghan tortoise is a desert dweller so we feel like we would be best suited for care with this desert buddy. I have read, and read, and watched many videos and learned so much! One of the things I was curious about is the prolapse Phenomenon. I know what causes it and how best to deal with it but I am curious if it is something that is more likely in female or male torts? I know that there are different kinds and that they are caused by different things like eggs being to large and diet among other things but is a male more likely to have less issues because he doesn't have the added element of egg laying?

Alastel

LAKEWOOD, WA
Hi and welcome
You are wise to learn as much as possible before getting your tort - there's more to keeping them than you think!
I was clueless when my tort adopted me but this forum has been a fantastic help with up to date information from very experienced keepers.
When you know which tort you are getting, look for the caresheet in the Species section that will tell you all you need to know about diet, temps, substrate lighting etc. Don't buy anything for pet stores until you have checked here whether it is safe or needed first. They tend to be clueless about care and like to make profit so we could save you a lot of money.
The Enclosures thread will give you some great ideas - size depends on species. A minimum of 4 x 8 feet is recommended for young adults of the smaller species. The bigger the species the bigger the space will be needed. Don't be tempted to get 2 unless you have enough room for 2 separate enclosures - they really don't like sharing!!
The Beginners Mistakes thread will also help you avoid any problems others have had.
So enjoy reading and getting to know your way around the forum then ask as many questions as you like, someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you!
One questing I have about the turtle table we are going to build is that can we make it a multi level?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you!
One questing I have about the turtle table we are going to build is that can we make it a multi level?
Sure you can make it multilevel. Get creative and then show it off in the Enclosures section of this forum. That's the joy of torting!

Alastel

LAKEWOOD, WA
Sure you can make it multilevel. Get creative and then show it off in the Enclosures section of this forum. That's the joy of torting!

What I have been reading is that they need a space that is about 4x8, do you think that a multi level 2.75 x 6 would be an acceptable space or do you think that even if I made it multi level that I should keep the base plan 4x8? I am just trying to figure out the logistics of the space.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
What I have been reading is that they need a space that is about 4x8, do you think that a multi level 2.75 x 6 would be an acceptable space or do you think that even if I made it multi level that I should keep the base plan 4x8? I am just trying to figure out the logistics of the space.
Personally, I'm a fan of the single level, but that's just my personal preference. It's much easier to maintain IMHO. I incorporate bridges and ramps in mine just to keep it interesting. If space constraints is a concern for you though, I don't see a problem with a double-decker 4x4 layout.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I prefer single level enclosures too, but have a look at the Enclosures thread to see what others have done.
Don't forget 4 x 8ft is a minimum recommended space the more space the better because they are wandering creatures and it isn't good to have torts wandering around the house to give them exercise - too many hazards. Do you have a garden?
Russians are also great climbers and escape artists so always the chance they could get over barriers on ramps/levels and fall off different levels. I assume providing heating, uvb and lighting would probably be easier on one level but I don't know that for sure and there may be ways around that.
I think I have read that even Russians need humidity and like to dig in their substrate but here is the link for the caresheet for Russians written by a very experienced keeper so follow that and you won't go far wrong. You'll also find other useful information in the Russian tort section.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
I've never not heard Russians called Afghans before - they are often called Horsefields in UK so I've learnt something new today - thank you!