Shipping 40 lbs of sulcatas rejected fedex

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
So I tried to ship my two sulcatas through reptiles express today. FedEx rejected them. They said the packaging wasn’t good and they would be crushed. I used a rubber maid tub as instructed. They told me they have to go in a cardboard box? Need help with how to ship them. Any advice please.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wait, how big are they? If they are small enough then you can get a shipping box from shipyourreptiles I just shipped 10 inch 6 pound leopard to Texas thru reptile Express but got a box from shipyourreptiles.
If they are too much bigger than that then Use a plastic airline approved dog crate and ship them by Delta dash airlines.
One tortoise per box or crate.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
Wait, how big are they? If they are small enough then you can get a shipping box from shipyourreptiles I just shipped 10 inch 6 pound leopard to Texas thru reptile Express but got a box from shipyourreptiles.
If they are too much bigger than that then Use a plastic airline approved dog crate and ship them by Delta dash airlines.
One tortoise per box or crate.
One is 15lbs the other is 25. Delta is not shipping reptiles at the moment.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should ask Reptiles Express for two shipping boxes. I've never used them, but shipyoureptiles.com provided me with a nice cardboard box, lined with rigid foam and a container my little tortoise fit in, and enough plastic peanuts to fill the box. In your case you would put the smaller one in a tube sock and the bigger one in a pillow case, both with the opening tied in a knot.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
You should ask Reptiles Express for two shipping boxes. I've never used them, but shipyoureptiles.com provided me with a nice cardboard box, lined with rigid foam and a container my little tortoise fit in, and enough plastic peanuts to fill the box. In your case you would put the smaller one in a tube sock and the bigger one in a pillow case, both with the opening tied in a knot.
I will call tomorrow. Man fedex is aggressive. She pretty said not her job to give me any info.

Last edited:

Claymoore

Orlando, Florida
So I tried to ship my two sulcatas through reptiles express today. FedEx rejected them. They said the packaging wasn’t good and they would be crushed. I used a rubber maid tub as instructed. They told me they have to go in a cardboard box? Need help with how to ship them. Any advice please.
I can see fedex rejecting a Rubbermaid tote. If it’s the kind I’m thinking the sides are very soft. I have shipped large Burmese browns using the HDX line of totes at Home Depot. They are yellow and black. Very rigid and you can zip tie the top shut. Put a lot of straw in the bottom. Put some holes up towards the top of box. You have to put the normal labels on it. I put a large label on each side Live Harmless Tortoise. Arrows pointing up. I taped the shipping label on top. Took to fedex and no issues. I do zip tie the top shut on them. That’s it. Make sure it’s one of the fedex locations that accepts hazardous items. Usually one of the main locations in your area. These totes come in different sizes. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1ABD499C-532A-4AD3-A388-807AC9E2B733.png
    1ABD499C-532A-4AD3-A388-807AC9E2B733.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 3

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I will call tomorrow. Man fedex is aggressive. She pretty said not her job to give me any info.
It is not her job to give you any details about shipping a reptile...but FedEx already has a (legally-mandated) relationship with two brokers (Ship Your Reptiles or Reptiles Express).

Those companies have the legally-approved shipping supplies and templates to print shipping labels and Live animal shipping waivers. You buy everything through Reptiles Express, but you need a Membership account with them. They're happy to walk you through all the details by phone before you purchase.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I can see fedex rejecting a Rubbermaid tote. If it’s the kind I’m thinking the sides are very soft. I have shipped large Burmese browns using the HDX line of totes at Home Depot. They are yellow and black. Very rigid and you can zip tie the top shut. Put a lot of straw in the bottom. Put some holes up towards the top of box. You have to put the normal labels on it. I put a large label on each side Live Harmless Tortoise. Arrows pointing up. I taped the shipping label on top. Took to fedex and no issues. I do zip tie the top shut on them. That’s it. Make sure it’s one of the fedex locations that accepts hazardous items. Usually one of the main locations in your area. These totes come in different sizes. Hope this helps.
Will fed ex pick up that tote just like that with a shipment label on it? Or does the tote have to be boxed and specially prepared

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your best bet is to call either reptilesexpress or shipyourreptiles and ask for an appropriate box for size and weight of your torts. The Kitsap are cheap at shipyourreptiles and you dont need an account. The kit has the cotton bags to put the tort in so they can't try and dig out of the box. They also include hot and cold packs incase you need them and a label indicating what is in the box.
Either place should be able to walk you thru what you need to do.

Claymoore

Orlando, Florida
Will fed ex pick up that tote just like that with a shipment label on it? Or does the tote have to be boxed and specially prepared
The one I have shipped like this did not require any further packaging. Fedex shipped in these totes no problem. There is no worries about these crushing or tortoise getting out. Large tortoises in boxes I don’t like. They can be pretty destructive to a box even in a pillow case or reptile bag. Just put a lot of straw on the bottom.

I’ve used delta dash before. Someone said they are not accepting tortoises now. I can’t confirm that. I know they will not accept them in a airline approved dog crate for sure. They require wood crate with 1 inch holes. It had to be hand built. I know this after having them rejected in the dog crates. Those yellow HDX totes Home depot no issues. If those are rejected I would be very surprised and might be the fedex guy your dealing with. If it is those soft sided type of tote you took there to begging with they would for sure reject those.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The one I have shipped like this did not require any further packaging. Fedex shipped in these totes no problem. There is no worries about these crushing or tortoise getting out. Large tortoises in boxes I don’t like. They can be pretty destructive to a box even in a pillow case or reptile bag. Just put a lot of straw on the bottom.

I’ve used delta dash before. Someone said they are not accepting tortoises now. I can’t confirm that. I know they will not accept them in a airline approved dog crate for sure. They require wood crate with 1 inch holes. It had to be hand built. I know this after having them rejected in the dog crates. Those yellow HDX totes Home depot no issues. If those are rejected I would be very surprised and might be the fedex guy your dealing with. If it is those soft sided type of tote you took there to begging with they would for sure reject those.
I've shipped multiple large tortoises in plastic dog crates over the years. Never had any rejected.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas
It might have been the location and the people I got. Lady was extremely annoyed that I was shipping an animal. Yep it was black and yellow tough container.

Edizzle888

5 Year Member
Las Vegas

They have an shipping embargo on anything that is not a dog.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Delta Dash does except them in airline approved dog crates! I received and shipped in them. Also the OP already tried a tote box and it was not excepted. They are too soft sided. The reptile bags or pillow case is almost impossible if not impossible for them to get out of or do any destruction. The OP is the one that said Delta not shipping reptiles right now so you don't need to confirm, I'm sure they checked.
Not sure where you have gotten your info but its incorrect. Unless like you said, you and OP dealing with a bad fedex agent.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What if I put the plastic container in a box ? Fedex
I think you should call reptile express if that's who you were using to ship. They should be able to help you the best.
If Delta Dash is actually shipping, airline approved dog crates should be enough. I have received and shipped with DD and the dog crates. Zip tie the door shut and be sure to put proper signage all over the crate or box.