Should i get a leopard

threenice

I am debating whether i should get a leopard tortoise i am very knowledgeable when it comes to reptiles and have done a lot of research on the species but the problem is my climate i am able to supply him with a large yard and proper husbandry but only for 4 months out of the year due to colder temperatures then i will have to make a pretty large indoor enclosure (12' by 12' indoors) what do you guys think? thank you for your reply's.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That could work. 12x12 for the winter isn't so bad for a single leopard.

Just realize that most of what you read outside of this website is probably outdated and incorrect.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Are you considering another species as well? they are a great species to raise, if you have got the space, then I say yes.

threenice

i was also looking at the red foot but really like the leopard, do you think that it might be possible or should i look at another species?:)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I live in Spokane Valley Washington and keep Leopards. It can be done. It is expensive and quite a bit of work when they get big. They are amazing, beautiful tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in Chicago Illinois. I keep leopards, three to be exact. Like Jodie said above, it can be done, just more expensive then in the warmer states.
Also like Tom said, if you have done your research outside this forum, it's probably wrong. So, read Toms threads below in how to actually raise a leopard to turn out and look the way they were meant to be. The sulcata threads will also apply to your leopard.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I Love Leopards ;)

After you've read up on how to properly raise the baby, if you think you can do it that way then yes get one.
But please, buy one from a breeder who starts them wet/humid and just stick with 1. ;) :tort: