Should I get another red foot baby?

Reptile guy

I have an 8 month old red foot I think he's a male but I want to get another. Should I? Does it have to be same age, I know it has to be same size and same species

Reptile guy

Actually can other types of tortoise live with red foot, beside their own species what other is comparable

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Redfooted tortoises seem to be able to get along with other RF tortoises in their habitat more readily than other species get along with others. Pairs seldom work, but more than two will be ok. And no, do not mix species. They might make each other sick or even dead.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the question shouldn't be should I get one the question should be why do you want another one once you answer that then you will know what you need to do.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Actually can other types of tortoise live with red foot, beside their own species what other is comparable
I'd stick to the same species, is yours a redfoot or a cherryhead redfoot. Which ever it is stick to the same type of redfoots IMO. I didn't and have some regrets.

Reptile guy

Dmmj it's simply cause I read up that their species likes company and I want to have another

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dmmj it's simply cause I read up that their species likes company and I want to have another
they don't like company they tolerate other Redfoots but sometimes they still fight you always take that into consideration. if you're getting another one just for company you don't need another one.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
I have an 8 month old red foot I think he's a male but I want to get another. Should I? Does it have to be same age, I know it has to be same size and same species
If I were you I'd first realize what size of enclosure you'll need for an adult redfoot... that's challenging enough, then imagine doubling that.. because if your torts don't get along you'll need to separate them.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Only you can know what space and time you have to devote to your tortoises.

You asked about size of enclosure they need. This varies and changes as they age and get bigger. In general I want my tortoises to have room to roam. A 4'x 8' indoor enclosure for several small Redfoots would be ideal for me.

That's a full sheet of plywood. Few people have the room for that. When my small Redfoot has to come indoors for about 3 months here in Florida , I have a 3' X 6' enclosure for her. She is 320 grams. Even then I put her outside in 75f + sunlight on days I can.

Sometimes , because tortoises will hide allot, and only roam around several hours each day , people tend to think the don't need much floor space. But exercise is very important for their health.

Build as big as you are able. That's the best advice.

And if you intend on keeping your tortoises into adulthood try and imagine what kind of space you would need when they are full grown.

And how you would provide that. This will answer your question for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As you've already heard. They don't want company. Only a frisky male will sometimes look for a female on occasion and THAT is a fleeting thing.
They never like having to share food, etc. Sometimes it can get very ugly.
I keep seven of them. Four together in a very large outdoors pen and three that for various reasons all live apart. You simply wont know if any will get along until you have them together but in my opinion, a big part of that is ROOM. Room to get away from each other.
If you end up with more then one....And most of us do. Do it for you. You're not doing the tortoise any favors.;)