Should i get another tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
So guys, two weeks ago i lost my russian tortoise, Tortle, and i have been waiting for it to get cooler so that maybe he comes out if he's hiding. I notified my neighbors and no one has seen any sight of him. Tomorrow, after i get off work, im gonna dig around everywhere in the garden and around it.
Im hoping he is still near the house and has just been waiting for me to come get him. I seriously don't think anything bad has happened to him, you know, mother's intuition?
My question is: would it be too soon to even THINK about trying again? Id still want a russian, but maybe a baby, i dont know. I just know im going to be totally prepared for it this time. I feel like such a failure because i lost my baby and I dont want to do anything wrong and lose another one!
Ill be searching around 5pm so ill let you guys know how it goes...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Let us know what happens....have you looked during the morning sunrise and a couple hours after that?

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
Yes i head out at 730 and take a look around but i dont see or hear anything

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
Oh my goodness forget about the new one im just thrilled to have found my old one! Lol
He was in there the whole time, exactly where i thought he was just a little bit deeper than i looked!
I was worrying all day because we had a flood warning but when i was digging it wasnt even wet all the way down.
When i saw his shell i broke into tears. I guess he heard me cus his little legs moved so i grabbed him and ran inside and put him under his lamp. He was dirty and i figured a bath would help him warm up. he usually jumps out right away but this time he stayed a while... is that a good sign?
Anyways im runnin out to get him fresh food and im worried he still wont eat. I gave him some fruit treats and pellets and he didnt eat alot. Hopefully he devours these greens im getting.
Any thing else i should be doin?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Glad you found him. Just make sure he can warm up past 85 to bask. They need to warm up past that to properly digest their food.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
He might need a soak today and tomorrow, and some good basking, before he feels like eating. Remember, he was going into wind down mode, so eating isn't on his list right now.

A lot of Russian tortoises (not all) slow down their eating anyway in the fall/winter.

Congratulations on finding him safe and sound!

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
That makes so much sense! Yeah i plan on keeping him warm and soaking him everyday for the next week!
thanks everybody for your help and encouragement over the last few weeks. It feels like its been forever since i last saw him...
also would it be a good idea to keep leaving him in the garden i lost him in, now that i know he just says in there, or should i make another one that isnt as deep?

fOrKyAnDpRoUd

5 Year Member
Well he was under a mat of roots which was two inches then 3 inches under that he was covered in dirt. So he wasnt that far down, i was just scared i would hurt him if i hit him with the shovel

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
don't feed him right away.. and don't be worried if he doenst eat. warm him up, wake him up. to keep him up, you are going to have to keep him warm and at least 13 hours of light a day.
Congrats!

dds7155

5 Year Member
if you want one, get one ,, but remember you will have it the rest of your life.....

Status
Not open for further replies.