Should i hibernate my new tortoise?

Derek The Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
BRIDGWATER
First some context: I recently adopted a 50 year old Horsefield who was with his past owners for 10 years. They hibernated him every winter and kept him in their garage. They rehomed him with me because they couldn't care for him and acknowledged that he was neglected over the summer, they said they may have forgotten to feed him "a few times". Now it's getting to that time where I have to make a decision about whether I hibernate him or allow him to brumate instead. He seems to be of a good weight and healthy, however I have never hibernated a tortoise before and I dont know him and his previous care well enough to feel confident that he will survive. My previous horsefield brumated so I know how to do this.

My question is whether brumating instead of hibernating this year is going to have any negative impact on him due to (as far as I'm aware) hibernating for at least the last 10 winters?

Thanks in advance

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
First some context: I recently adopted a 50 year old Horsefield who was with his past owners for 10 years. They hibernated him every winter and kept him in their garage. They rehomed him with me because they couldn't care for him and acknowledged that he was neglected over the summer, they said they may have forgotten to feed him "a few times". Now it's getting to that time where I have to make a decision about whether I hibernate him or allow him to brumate instead. He seems to be of a good weight and healthy, however I have never hibernated a tortoise before and I dont know him and his previous care well enough to feel confident that he will survive. My previous horsefield brumated so I know how to do this.

My question is whether brumating instead of hibernating this year is going to have any negative impact on him due to (as far as I'm aware) hibernating for at least the last 10 winters?

Thanks in advance
I don't keep Russians, but I do have torts and I've never had any bad result from not hibernating any....but wait for an expert...

Reactions: Ink

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pretty sure 'hibernate' (when referring to tortoises) and 'brumate' are the same thing.

Actually tortoises brumate not hibernate, but some people don't know what 'brumate' is so we say hibernate instead.

A new-to-you tortoise should be kept up the first winter with you so you can be sure he's healthy. You can allow him to brumate next winter. However, if you're sure he's healthy enough and he wants to brumate, go ahead and let him.