Should I remove the half log hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I'm just looking for others opinions on this. I have an idea but would like to hear what others think.

I have a half log hide up by the basking area. It seems lately the tort is spending most of its time in the hide, where the temp is only around 77 degrees (when I check its shell with the temp gun). When I take it out of the hide and put it under the light, it becomes active again and finishes the food, runs around, etc. It's like it doesn't know when to leave it.

I'm not sure if I should just let it sit in the hide as long as it chooses to, or simply remove it so it stays warmer.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Mine normally eats right after the morning soak, but lately its been running straight to the hide and staying there until I take it out. I just took it out and now it's roaming around as normal.

I would think it should know when to come out to warm up.

I'm wondering if it's being bothered by the humidifier. For the past few days I've been using tap water instead of purified. Maybe it's trying to hide from the mist?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
With the humidity at 80% which it should be, your temps should not be lower then 80. Have you checked your temps? The rest of the enclosure may be too cold. If the log under the basking is only 77, I'm guessing your temps may be too low.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
The temps are no lower than normal, and it's been growing like a weed all winter. The top of the log reads over 90, but inside it doesn't get that warm.

I'm getting ready to do a substrate change and see if that makes a difference. Soaking the Eco Earth now. Then tonight I'll stock up on purified water since I'm thinking my tap water is bothering it.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Talk about a huge difference. Since the substrate change this morning he hasn't tried to hide and is still up at 7:30 PM. He's usually in bed by 4 at the latest.

I need to keep up with this. I have enough Eco Earth to change it once a month for 2 years. No excuses!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortus said:
Talk about a huge difference. Since the substrate change this morning he hasn't tried to hide and is still up at 7:30 PM. He's usually in bed by 4 at the latest.

I need to keep up with this. I have enough Eco Earth to change it once a month for 2 years. No excuses!

What makes you think it's the substrate? Other then the fact he is out more. Like what do you think was wrong with the substrate that would make a difference? Lots of us don't change ours for 6 months to a year with no behavior changes.
What ever it might have been, glad he's acting himself again.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i had the problem of my tortoise not being able to turn around in it. i had it pushed against the wall and she didn't use it often.....apparently walking backwards is not high on her list :D

and also whenever i change the substrate my tort is extra active for a couple days lol basically anytime i rearrange her enclosure.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they feel more secure with some place to hide.. maybe try something like a plant it can hide under, but the heat still gets thru.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
wellington said:
Tortus said:

What makes you think it's the substrate? Other then the fact he is out more. Like what do you think was wrong with the substrate that would make a difference? Lots of us don't change ours for 6 months to a year with no behavior changes.
What ever it might have been, glad he's acting himself again.

It seemed to have a musty smell to it. I know coco fiber smells kind of musty anyway, but it seemed a little stronger than normal.

I like to change it regularly to make sure it stays moist (and get rid of any urine, etc.). It seems no matter how much water you put in it, it's never the same as when it's first put in.

I think he's outgrown the log hide anyway. When I put it back in yesterday he nearly carried it off because the shell was scraping the top. lol. I'll find something else. I have clover and dandelion seeds. I haven't tried planting any in the enclosure yet.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I think he's outgrown the log hide anyway. When I put it back in yesterday he nearly carried it off because the shell was scraping the top. lol.

LOL! This made me laugh soo much. My tort is active for about 30-45 mins extra than usual whenever i re-moisten her coco coir. She climbs the walls trying to get out but soon gets used to it again. Glad to hear yours has perked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.