Should I separate R2/D2

Bush

Location (City and/or State)
Canton tx
I have two sulcatas and they are from the same clutch.. I got them as eggs and they hatched 5 days apart last July. They have always been together and slept side by side every nite. Please tell me if this might make a difference in them getting along. I hate to separate them. They take turns sitting in the middle of their food bowl but they both get plenty to eat. Please advise.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sitting in the food dish, sleeping side by side are both signs of one wanting to be top dog. It may be ok for now, but sooner rather than later you're going to start to see one is not growing like the other, one stays hiding a lot more, etc. Don't put human emotions on them. They neither want nor need companionship, and they don't recognize that they are brothers. They only see the other as competition for the food and hiding places.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two sulcatas and they are from the same clutch.. I got them as eggs and they hatched 5 days apart last July. They have always been together and slept side by side every nite. Please tell me if this might make a difference in them getting along. I hate to separate them. They take turns sitting in the middle of their food bowl but they both get plenty to eat. Please advise.
They should be separated immediately. Tortoises should never live in pairs. The behavior you are seeing is already territorial. Tortoises don't like other tortoises or want them around. Groups of babies can usually work, but not pairs. They will be much happier and healthier as the sole kings or queens of their own realm.

Bush

Canton tx
Not sure if this matters but the smaller one of the 2 is definitely in charge.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Clutchmates mean nothing. Size doesn't I have seen the smallest tortoises be the biggest bullies. When they hit puberty you will swear you will swear you have 2 different animals. Save yourself and your :tort:s the heartache and stress.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Not sure if this matters but the smaller one of the 2 is definitely in charge.
Doesn't matter at all - there have been horrific stories on here recently about one tort biting off another's head, or shells bleeding from being barged.
I'm sure you'll find lots more if you use the search facility.
Bullying starts way before it gets physical, and the stress can make torts ill. Please follow the advice you have been given and separate them.