Should I take in a large sullie from friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
jaizei said:
ShadowRancher said:
The second option is the Red Green duct tape approach and should be approached with caution

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Keep your stick on the ice.

so glad that reference was appreciated...this is what comes of growing up without cable and watching PBS all the time. That and a kickin faux-British accent.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
BrinnANDGupta said:
The only problem is electricity now... How do I get electricity to the shed ? I don't know if its going to be an option to put it right next to the house..

Running underground cable (UF) is one option but I do not recommend it. I think any type of wiring underground should be in conduit. Personally, I would run 3/4 pvc. 1/2 pvc is useless imo. The depth you need to bury it depends on a few factors: If you use a GFCI breaker, then you are permitted to bury it shallower than you would be able to otherwise. Whether you need a trencher or not depends on the distance and soil type. The distance will also affect what size wire you will need to pull. Then once you get to the shed, there are many options. Too many to list. :)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Thank u for all the help u guys , I have many different places I could put the fenced in area , I will have to wait till I have the shed in the place I want it and then put up the fencing around the shed to do the wiring . Then I will know how far the wiring needs to run
I want to put it in a place with lots of grass and sunlight but also has some trees for shade.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I use slumpstone blocks, but regular cinder blocks will work just fine too. You can also use railroad ties, landscaping logs or plywood with 2x4 posts. With the plywood/post method you can just stick the pressure treated 2x4s 18-24" in the ground and leave 16" above ground. Then you get a standard 4x8' sheet of plywood and cut it into 3 16"x8' long pieces. This way you can get 24' for every piece of plywood. You can run another 2x4 along the top of each section for support and to make it look nicer if you want.

For a night box, a 4x4' x2' tall one will work great. The more sealed and insulated you build it the less you will spend on electricity and the more comfy and warm he will be. This is Bert's box. These pics are old. Since these pics I have added a lockable door flap/ramp on hinges, replaced the door flaps with thicker, better vinyl, removed one of the two pig blankets, added an overhead radiant heat panel, and added a 1.5" thick piece of foil backed insulation to the ceiling. Its really working well now. Keeps him in the 70's even when its below freezing.

If you really want to go deluxe, here's my bigger box. All the walls, the floor and the ceiling are sealed and insulated. This one uses very little electricity. You could build a smaller version of this pretty easily. Or just go big, since we all already know that you are just going to keep getting more and more tortoises. :D
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-The-Mother-of-All-Tortoise-Boxes#axzz1j7b7mpzz

Now this is the type of box I would make! Perfect details.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I ripped up all the fencing today , that was some serious work. I have to put it all back up tomorrow and brace the bottom. Then build the shed which is going to be much easier than the fencing because Tom gave me some awesome detialed directions lol

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Tom said:
Ana, what if all the wild animals around my place are all used to Metallica already? :D

Then you're just SOL :)

BrinnANDGupta said:
I ripped up all the fencing today , that was some serious work. I have to put it all back up tomorrow and brace the bottom. Then build the shed which is going to be much easier than the fencing because Tom gave me some awesome detialed directions lol

Awesome, Knew you could do it!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
It's official I pick the big boy up Tuesday !!!!! :):):):):):):) I have to work my self crazy next two days to finish everything but it's all good. It's gonna be totally worth it. Today I ripped up 22 t posts by hand and then re drove them into the ground where I want them , tomorrow I am going to put the fence up and brace the bottom and trim up the over growth in the enclosure. Start on the shed , monday I finish the shed. It's all just in time too because I start back a 18 hour semester Wednesday
Thanks for everyone's help !!!!!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
BrinnANDGupta said:
It's official I pick the big boy up Tuesday !!!!! :):):):):):):) I have to work my self crazy next two days to finish everything but it's all good. It's gonna be totally worth it. Today I ripped up 22 t posts by hand and then re drove them into the ground where I want them , tomorrow I am going to put the fence up and brace the bottom and trim up the over growth in the enclosure. Start on the shed , monday I finish the shed. It's all just in time too because I start back a 18 hour semester Wednesday

You don't mean literally by hand, do you? You had one of these, right? :p

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
jaizei said:
BrinnANDGupta said:

You don't mean literally by hand, do you? You had one of these, right? :p

no I mean by hand, I don't have of those. Wiggled them in every which direction to get them loose and then I braced myself and ripped them up outta the ground..my back pretty much killing me. a lot of the time I had to dig to the bottom and clip roots and extra wires and such

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Well, there's always next time. :D The puller makes it a lot easier.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I am not a very good carpenter , I can do the basics and that about it lol hopefully I will get better at it so I can make better looking enclosures and what not for the tortoises
I am very proud of myself lol for a 19 year old woman of average size yanking by t posts by hand and then driving them back in is extremely hard. I was so jealous when my brother drove in one (just that one by the way lol) it took him like three bangs and it was in real good. It takes me like 20 I'm sure I look ridiculous trying to bang in those posts haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are an awesome chick!
I guess we'll have to wait for pics until you get some free time...

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I'll have a whole bunch of pictures of the new tortoise and his enclosure plus shed to post on Tuesday :) it's not as big as I wanted it to be but I'll probably let him out of it to other parts of our land while I watch and put him back in for safety.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh don't worry. You will NEVER stop tweaking and improving the enclosure. It never ends...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Tom said:

Or wait until you can actually raise the camera high enough to take the pic, after pulling and pounding those posts!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Tom said:

Or wait until you can actually raise the camera high enough to take the pic, after pulling and pounding those posts!

Lol I'll stand up on the tractor and take picture so I don't have to lift my arms :) itll show the enclosure really nice from up there

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
My husband is in the middle of building our outside enclosure and we borrowed a lot of toms ideas but I put a removable rubber mat it is made as a rubber runner for carpets. We are putting it down on the floor over the plywood to help with and bed wetting accidents. I have had a long talk to Willie about making sure he keeps his room clean but if he is anything like my twins boys it won't last long... Here in Florida I fear that if the wood gets wet to much that it will rot in the heat and humidity... By the way, thanks for all the tips Tom, even though you didn't know you have been helping two at once....

Status
Not open for further replies.