Should my Russian hibernate?

Nathan Wadsworth

Location (City and/or State)
Isle Of Man
I have a concern about my 1 year old(he turns two in May) Horsefield tortoise. It is winter and I am keeping him in his terrarium, but instead of being active, he sleeps all day except for when I bring him out to exercise, or when I soak him weekly.
He eats fairly well and defacates often, but sometimes he goes three days without eating. And I’m confused as to whether I should consider hibernating him.
I bought a book at my local pet shop and it says I can hibernate him at any age, but the shop employee at the pet shop I bought him from said that he cannot hibernate until he is ten years old.
What do I do?
P.s I say my tortoise is a ‘he’ but My local vet nor the shop I got ‘him’ from can identify his gender until he is older.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you want to hibernate him, you need to do it at the start of winter, not the end. We can help you with this next year. They can do it in their first year and every year, if you do it right. They do not have to hibernate ever, if you don't want to.

You need to look at temperatures, lighting, and duration of lighting, to figure out why he thinks its winter time in his indoor quarters.

Can you tell us your four temps, what heating and lighting you are using, and how long the lights are on daily?

Nathan Wadsworth

Isle Of Man
If you want to hibernate him, you need to do it at the start of winter, not the end. We can help you with this next year. They can do it in their first year and every year, if you do it right. They do not have to hibernate ever, if you don't want to.

You need to look at temperatures, lighting, and duration of lighting, to figure out why he thinks its winter time in his indoor quarters.

Can you tell us your four temps, what heating and lighting you are using, and how long the lights are on daily?
I have his temp. At 90 degrees Fahrenheit from 7:30am-10:30pm on weekdays, and about 9:00/10:00am - 11:00pm on weekends.
I use a UVA/UVB as well as his heat lamp. He has a cool side of the tank and a warm side, but I always see him burrowing on the cool side, and he wakes up cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have his temp. At 90 degrees Fahrenheit from 7:30am-10:30pm on weekdays, and about 9:00/10:00am - 11:00pm on weekends.
I use a UVA/UVB as well as his heat lamp. He has a cool side of the tank and a warm side, but I always see him burrowing on the cool side, and he wakes up cold.
There are four temperatures to know and adjust as needed. Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low. Where and when is it 90 degrees and what are the other temps?

What type of basking and UV bulbs are you using? There are lots of different types available. Some are better than others at discouraging a tortoise from wanting to hibernate in winter. What type and what wattage basking bulb? What type of UV bulb? Tube, cfl, MVB? 5.0, 12%HO?

I recommend setting your lights on timers so that the tortoises photoperiod isn't getting longer or shorter day by day on the weekends. Especially since you are having this issue.