Sick hatchling

Heatherf4

i have had my Sulcata hatchling for 2 months now, and he is very sick. I took him to the vet, she said he had parasites. I have been treating him for three days now. He is not getting any better. He is not eating and not active at all. I am afraid he has hatchling failure syndrome. He weighed 30g at vet on Saturday and now weighs 25g.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him warm water soaks with baby foods puréed carrots and flavorless/plain piedialyte in it. Keep him warm the whole time he's in soak. Do this daily.
In the mean time also show pics of the enclosure and what the day, night, and basking temps are? Also what type of bulbs your using and what the humidity is. Also raise the temps to 85 day and night.

Heatherf4

I have been soaking in baby food carrots,sweet potatoes and also been blending up greens and soaking him in that been doing this 6 days. Are carrots the best to use and why?
Enclosure temps cool side is 80 basking is 100-105 and warm side 90-95. Night time temp is 80. He does have humid hide. The humidity in his enclosure is around 60 most of the time his hide is higher.

Attachments

• IMG_4637.JPG
    IMG_4637.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4632.JPG
    IMG_4632.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4633.JPG
    IMG_4633.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    746.7 KB · Views: 45

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Raise the night time and cool side temps to 85. What are you using to measure temps and humidity?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I see your analog gauges... those are highly inaccurate and raised up too high. More than likely you temps and humidity down at tortoise level are lower than you think.

Get a reptile thermostat to control you're heat and spend $25 on a infrared temp gun so you can check the temps in the tank.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Where did you get your baby and how was he started in his first few days and weeks?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Eyes swelling shut and turning white are often the first signs of your tort getting sick from being held in the wrong set up. You pulled your light so that's good but I'm willing to bet your temps are too cool. Damp and cool...

Bee62

Germany
Hello,
how old is your Max and which medicine the VET gave him ?
Raise the night temperature to 85 F. He need it warm and humid.
He really looks very sick. Poor Max.

Greta16

Western Maine
Get a Lazer temp gun at walmart or the hardware store..like 13 dollars. Those thermometers are totally inaccurate. I know. I just got my temp gun in the mail. According to my thermometer like yours my basking spot was 100 degrees. It was actually 108!!! I was mortified!! So please go get it. It's worth it! Good luck ☺

Heatherf4

Our poor Max passed away today so Sad.
We would love to get another one, but I want to make sure it is a healthy one. Not sure I could go through the heart break again.
Thank you for your help, I'm sure he made it as long as he did from all of the great advice I got from this forum.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Our poor Max passed away today so Sad.
We would love to get another one, but I want to make sure it is a healthy one. Not sure I could go through the heart break again.
Thank you for your help, I'm sure he made it as long as he did from all of the great advice I got from this forum.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry for your loss too.
It makes me really sad to read that your little Max passed away.

When you want to get another tortoise, search for a breeder who start the babies in warm and humid conditions and carry on to keep them so.
Search for a breeder in this forum.
I think @Tom is breeding sulcatas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I got my hatchling from a pet store that got him from AZ

Most breeders start them too dry. Many breeders in AZ leave their babies outside all day because it is warm and sunny there. This is not good for babies, and most of those eventually die. Read this for more insight:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Then read this to see how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

When the time comes, Me and a few other breeders on this site start them right.

Alicia Hoogstra

I'm soooo sorry! I would highly recommend a breeder on here! The difference in health is astonishing!

Heatherf4

Most breeders start them too dry. Many breeders in AZ leave their babies outside all day because it is warm and sunny there. This is not good for babies, and most of those eventually die. Read this for more insight:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Then read this to see how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

When the time comes, Me and a few other breeders on this site start them right.