Sick hatchling

Heatherf4

Thank you Tom for all your help. I love sulcatas but I think we might go with a Greek tortoise this time. Any recommendations? We would like to get a hatchling again.
Thank you
Heather

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Our poor Max passed away today so Sad.
We would love to get another one, but I want to make sure it is a healthy one. Not sure I could go through the heart break again.
Thank you for your help, I'm sure he made it as long as he did from all of the great advice I got from this forum.

I'm so sorry he died, Heather. That's just so sad. Looking at that first picture, I'm seeing a very thin baby tortoise. See the upper front legs? Looks like it's just skin over bone, no flesh at all. You can take some comfort in the fact that the baby came to you in poor condition (it takes longer than 2 months to get that thin), and you did everything possible to get him right. It just wasn't in the cards.

contact HermanniChris or GBTortoises to see if they have any Greek babies at this time. Both are members here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom for all your help. I love sulcatas but I think we might go with a Greek tortoise this time. Any recommendations? We would like to get a hatchling again.
Thank you
Heather

I second what Yvonne said. If I were looking for a greek, GB and Chris would be people I would call on. I'd also talk to Tyler Stewart at Tortoisesupply.com. He breeds some greeks too.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Heather, I am so very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately this kind of fate meets many tiny tortoise hatchlings. In nature many of those babies don't every make it to their first birthday, they usually end up being food for some bigger animals. Hatchlings that young are VERY delicate and require lot of care. Once they reach 1-2 yrs of age they become a lot hardier. I second what's been said about sourcing out your new pet from reputable breeder. The way those babies are started makes a huge difference in quality of your experience with your animals down the road. Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress. Again, I am very sorry for the loss of your little cutie.

Last edited: