Sick tortoise can't hibernate

deweesfamily

5 Year Member
My 6-year old desert tortoise has a respiratory infection and the vet said not to hibernate him. Right now he has the run of most of our yard. We are in So Cal, so it won't get freezing, but it will be wet and colder than he is used to. I have an area that is outside and can keep him dry, but I need ideas for an outside heated enclosure.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I agree with the vet you should never hibernate a tortoise that has been sick or is currently sick. that usually results in death.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Really don't let him get cold and wet while recovering. I would keep his temp around 80 all the time until he is better. Take a look at Toms night box threads. He houses Sulcatas in CA

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My 6-year old desert tortoise has a respiratory infection and the vet said not to hibernate him. Right now he has the run of most of our yard. We are in So Cal, so it won't get freezing, but it will be wet and colder than he is used to. I have an area that is outside and can keep him dry, but I need ideas for an outside heated enclosure.

What caused the RI? You will also want to correct the issue that created the ailment...I personally would bring him indoors and set up a temp indoor space that will allow you to completely control the temp in the space...I would also keep the temps no less than 83-85 at all times and I would also provide a basking spot that reaches 100-110...is the tortmon any meds?

deweesfamily

5 Year Member
What caused the RI? You will also want to correct the issue that created the ailment...I personally would bring him indoors and set up a temp indoor space that will allow you to completely control the temp in the space...I would also keep the temps no less than 83-85 at all times and I would also provide a basking spot that reaches 100-110...is the tortmon any meds?

Thank you for the response. I wish I knew what caused him to get sick, but I don't. It is still in the 80's here in California during the day, but I am bringing him in at night. I am trying to design an indoor enclosure for the winter and will definitely include a basking spot. Do I also need a special light like I had when he was a hatchling in the aquarium? Yes, he is on an antibiotic.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thank you for the response. I wish I knew what caused him to get sick, but I don't. It is still in the 80's here in California during the day, but I am bringing him in at night. I am trying to design an indoor enclosure for the winter and will definitely include a basking spot. Do I also need a special light like I had when he was a hatchling in the aquarium? Yes, he is on an antibiotic.

How long has it been since he was indoors and then put outdoors full time? What is his outdoor sleeping quarters ( an above ground hide or a natural burrow ) is his enclosure desert like or a grass enclosure?

Trish A

Inland Empire
Hi, I am new to the site, first day:)
My tortoise Houdini was also sick this past summer and vet recommended that he does not hibernate.
I also live in So CAL and have been searching for some ideas.
My Houdini is 33 yrs. old, is doing much better and still eating but I need to make something to trick him to not hibernate.
I have seen lots of ideas, i just need to find a great man to help me, lol.